THE 2010 season is upon us and yes, it’s time to get your entries sent in for the Golf North East Match Play Pairs Classic tournaments.
Looking back, it only seems like yesterday when we launched the gents’ competition in 2002. That year the final was held at Slaley Hall where Chris Wall and Marc Newcombe from Cleveland Golf Club lifted the trophy with a 3 & 2 victory over the Hydro players Paul Clarke and Shaun Collier.
The following year, Consett seniors Barry Bromley and Geoff Cook reached the final, again played at Slaley Hall, where they beat Ian Lumsden and Ian Smith from Wearside 4 & 3.
Having now launched a ladies’ event, Ramside Hall was the venue for the 2004 finals. In the gents’ competition, Keith Ridden and Leon Masterman from City of Newcastle took the championship with a 2 & 1 victory over Durham City’s Clive Oliphant and Alan Oliver. And in the ladies’ final, Slaley Hall’s Linda Golightly and Chris Walby surrendered a five-hole lead to lose to Lynne Liddle and Linda Wilson from Gosforth 2 & 1.
In 2005, the ladies’ competition failed to generate enough entries and had to be discontinued. That year the gents’ final was played at Brancepeth Castle where Bishop Auckland duo Sean Nevin and Graham Flockett were triumphant with a 3 & 2 victory against Shaun Coyle and Brian Cole from Billingham.
A mixed event was introduced in 2006 with the finals being staged at Matfen Hall Golf Club. In the gents’ competition, Neil Elborn and Steve Slater from City of Newcastle were crowned champions following a two-hole victory over Gordon Dance and David Hopper from Ramside Hall. And in the mixed, Linden Hall’s Barry Guy and Sarah Phillips triumphed against Iben and John Cocker 2 & 1.
The 2007 finals were held at Linden Hall where both matches went to extra holes. Representing Eaglescliffe, Neil Sanderson and Guy Henderson had to rely on all their experience to win at the 20th against Michael Johnson and Tony Stephenson from Teesside, and Chris Walby and Douglas Ellison from Slaley Hall tasted victory at the 19th against Stocksfield’s Gary and Sonia Kennedy.
Following their 2007 victory, champions Guy and Neil successfully defended their title, winning our 2008 competition and another holiday in the sun. And in the mixed final, Steve Slater and his partner Nikkii Toman (City of Newcastle) beat Joan and Malcolm Short (Saltburn Golf Club) to secure their flights to the Algarve.
Last year, we received a record entry in the gents’ competition with John Egglestone and Paul McCarthy from Chester-le Street Golf Club lifting the trophy at Close House Golf Club. Gary Catt and Eileen McMullan from Richmond Golf Club were victorious in the mixed, beating Danielle Brady and Craig Davies from Durham City in what was a very close match.
As a result of their victories, all of our champions have enjoyed a tournament golfing holiday on the Algarve in sunny Portugal where some were successful in winning further great prizes.
This year our Match Play semi-finals are to be played at Linden Hall Golf Club and the finals at Ramside Hall Golf Club.
And ladies, please note that courtesy shots have been introduced in the mixed competition.
So don’t delay, you could be the next champions and enjoying a top prize in amateur golf .
Simply fill in the application form and send it to Golf North East Match Play Pairs Classic, Golf North East, ncjMedia, 2nd Floor Advertising, Groat Market, Newcastle, NE1 1ED.
Golf North East Match Play Pairs (Gents and Mixed) Rules 2010
1. A Pairs Match Play competition to be run in conjunction with Golf North East and only Golf North East for its readers within its circulation area.
2. Entry forms, illegible or incorrect may result in the entrants being disqualified.
3. At each match, if courtesy is not given, green fees will be shared by both home and away teams.
4. The gents competition is only open to men. The mixed competition is open to a pairing of one lady and one gent.
5. Gents may enter both the gents and mixed competitions.
6. All entry forms are to be directed to Golf North East together with the entry fee.
7. The minimum age for the competition is 18, there is no maximum.
8. The maximum handicap is to be 36 (Ladies) and 24 (Men).
9. Matches to be played using 3/4 of the difference of the handicap taken from the lowest handicap.
10. Matches to be played off the tees of the day – (The gents home players may choose between yellows or whites depending on club policy) (Ladies – red).
11. Should the Ladies Card differ from the Gents Card then courtesy shots must be given i.e. the difference between the par for the two cards. (The handicaps should be calculated after the courtesy shots have been added).
12. Both competitions are open to golf club members with a valid handicap.
13. Handicap certificates to be available at all matches for their opponents to inspect if requested.
14. No player can enter each competition more than once.
15. Once a team has registered their home club, they cannot transfer to another club without notifying Golf North East and a transfer will only be accepted once a check has been made that they have fully complied with COGNU handicapping rules.
16. The home drawn pair to offer three dates and times to their opposition.
17. No extensions will be given.
18. In the event of being unable to arrange a date, both teams will be disqualified.
19. Should a match be tied after 18 holes, the result will be decided by a sudden death play off commencing at the 1st hole.
20. A panel consisting of representatives from Golf North East will adjudicate any disputes in conjunction with the Rules Office of the R&A. Their decision will be final.
21. No correspondence will be entered into.
22. The prizes are not transferable.
23. All players must agree to being photographed and included in Golf North East should the occasion arise.
24. The semi-finals are to be played at Linden Hall Golf Club, date TBA
25. The finals are to be played at Ramside Hall Golf Club, date TBA.
26. Date and venue of the holiday has yet to be confirmed.
27. DMDs are permitted.
28. Closing dates for entries are: Gents, 31 March 2010; mixed 31 May 2010.