With the 2009 season fast approaching, the question being asked is who will put a halt to Guy Henderson and Neil Sanderson's unbeatable run in our Gents Match Play Pairs competition?
With the 2009 season fast approaching, the question being asked is who will put a halt to Guy Henderson and Neil Sanderson's unbeatable run in our Gents Match Play Pairs competition? Our double champions from Eaglescliffe Golf Club have won a total of 15 consecutive matches to take the 2007 and 2008 titles. And the two single figure handicap golfers will be trying their best to achieve an unbelievable hat trick - much to the disappointment of Mrs Henderson, who would much prefer a family summer holiday!
The entry fee for both the Gents and Mixed competitions remains at £25 per team and the winners of both will be invited to take part in the Golf North East and Golfing Holidays annual Algarve Invitational Tournament Week in Portugal in November 2009. Last year, the Gents field was a strong as ever all hoping to win our coveted trophy.
The standard of golf was exceptional and considering the weather conditions, all the competitors have to be commended for completing their matches by the set deadlines.
Although the Mixed entry was disappointing, we still went ahead with the competition resulting in Steve Slater and Nikkii Toman from the City of Newcastle, taking the title. In the final, they beat Malcolm and Joan Short from Saltburn-by-the-Sea Golf Club.
Unfortunately, Malcolm passed away shortly before Christmas following a short illness and at this sad point, Golf North East would like to take this opportunity to express our deepest sympathy to Joan and her family - Malcolm will be greatly missed.
Entry forms for both competitions are on this page, so don't delay, send your completed entries to: Gillian Corney, Golf North East, Trinity Mirror, 2nd Floor Advertising, Groat Market, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 1ED.
Matchplay pairs rules
Golf North East Match Play Pairs (Gents and Mixed) Rules 2009
1. A Pairs Match Play competition to be run in conjunction with Golf North East and only Golf North East for its readers within its circulation area.
2. Entry forms, illegible or incorrect may result in the entrants being disqualified.
3. At each match, if courtesy is not given, green fees will be shared by both home and away teams. 4. The gents competition is only open to men. The mixed competition is open to a pairing of one lady and one gent.
5. Gents may enter both the gents and mixed competitions.
6. All entry forms are to be directed to Golf North East together with the entry fee.
7. The minimum age for the competition is 18, there is no maximum.
8. The maximum handicap is to be 36(Ladies) and 24(Men).
9. Matches to be played using 3/4 of the difference of the handicap taken from the lowest handicap.
10. Matches to be played off the tees of the day - (The gents home players may choose between yellows or whites depending on club policy) (Ladies - red).
11. Should the Ladies Card differ from the Gents Card then courtesy shots must be given i.e. the difference between the par for the two cards. (The handicaps should be calculated after the courtesy shots have been added)
12. Both competitions are open to Golf Club members with a valid handicap.
13. Handicap certificates to be available at all matches for their opponents to inspect if requested.
14. No player can enter each competition more than once.
15. Once a team has registered their home club, they cannot transfer to another club without notifying Golf North East and a transfer will only be accepted once a check has been made that they have fully complied with COGNU handicapping rules.
16. The home drawn pair to offer three dates and times to their opposition.
17. No extensions will be given.
18. In the event of being unable to arrange a date, both teams will be disqualified.
19. Should a match be tied after 18 holes, the result will be decided by sudden death play off commencing at the 1st hole.
20. A panel consisting of representatives from Golf North East will adjudicate any disputes in conjunction with the Rules Office of the R & A. Their decision will be final.
21. No correspondence will be entered into.
22. The prizes are not transferable.
23. All players must agree to being photographed and included in Golf North East should the occasion arise. 24. The Semi-Finals are to be played at Ramside Hall Golf Club the week commencing Monday 7th September 2009.
25. The Finals are to be played at Close House Golf Club, the week commencing Monday 14th September 2009.
26. Date and venue of the holiday has yet to be confirmed.
27. Closing dates for entries are - Gents - 31st March 2009 & Mixed - 31st May 2009.