Chrissy Rouse celebrates a Thruxton triumph

BURNOPFIELD teenager Chrissy Rouse leads the Triumph Triple Challenge after a commanding win at Thruxton.

Teenage racing motorcyclist Chrissy Rouse
Teenage racing motorcyclist Chrissy Rouse

BURNOPFIELD teenager Chrissy Rouse leads the Triumph Triple Challenge after a commanding win at Thruxton.

The 17-year-old Stratstone Triumph Racing rider saw off charges from his nearest rivals to take the win at the Hampshire track.

He even escaped unscathed after being hit on his rear tyre in an incident which saw Freddy Pett – who had been leading the series after the first round – crash out.

After scoring a second and third in the opening round at Brands Hatch a week ago, Rouse had arrived at Thruxton in joint second place with Phil Atkinson and had been determined to close the gap on leader Pett during the weekend’s two races.

He emerged second quickest during Saturday morning’s free practice session before qualifying third on the grid ahead of the opening race on Saturday afternoon.

However, the rain which had begun to fall shortly before the qualifying session soon became heavier and, with no signs of it relenting, race chiefs were forced to cancel all track action.

With a packed schedule on Sunday, Saturday’s race will now be rescheduled for another event, leaving just one race for the TTC riders.

At the green light, Rouse made a tentative start and dropped a handful of places to sixth.

However, he quickly picked up his pace and had made two places back before the pack crossed the line at the end of the first lap.

Moments later he made a move on Daniel Fuller for third before searing past Freddy Pett, who was lying second, and Atkinson in one move to take the lead.

Rouse quickly put a gap between himself and Atkinson, but by lap five Pett had moved into second and closed in behind him.

As they reached the chicane at the end of the lap, Pett touched Rouse’s rear wheel and crashed out.

From here, Rouse maintained his lead, coming under a little bit of pressure from Atkinson.

However, his rival never got close enough to make a serious move and the teenager kept the lead all of the way to the chequered flag.

He took the win and 25 points to move to the top of the championship.

Rouse said: “It’s brilliant to get this win, especially after such a long weekend.

“I was disappointed when Saturday’s race was cancelled because I wanted a wet race.

“I know it could not be helped and the organisers made the right decision, but I was desperate to get out on Sunday.

“I did not get a good start but I recovered quickly from it and once I’d passed Fuller I knew I could get to the front. Passing Freddy and Phil in one go was good!

“A few laps later I felt something on the rear wheel when Freddy hit me, but I didn’t know who it was or even how many were behind me so I just put my head down and concentrated on keeping in front to get the win.”

Rouse now leads the championship chase after three races on 61 points, five clear of Atkinson.

His next races will be at Oulton Park in Cheshire in three weeks’ time.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer