Chrissy Rouse banks two Oulton Park wins

TEENAGE motorcycle ace Chrissy Rouse turned up the heat in the Bank Holiday sunshine to take two Triumph Triple Challenge victories at Oulton Park.

Chrissy Rouse
Chrissy Rouse

TEENAGE motorcycle ace Chrissy Rouse turned up the heat in the Bank Holiday sunshine to take two Triumph Triple Challenge victories at Oulton Park.

The 17-year-old from Burnopfield has now extended his lead in the championship to 111 points, 26 points ahead of closest rival Phil Atkinson after doubling-up with two wins on Bank Holiday Monday.

The Emmanuel College pupil had arrived at the Cheshire Circuit five points ahead in the title chase following a win at Thruxton last month and had been eyeing two podiums in a bid to stretch his lead.

With two races packed in to Monday’s busy MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship programme, Rouse and the rest of the TTC pack took to the track for qualifying on Sunday afternoon.

Rouse qualified his Stratstone Triumph Racing Daytona 675 in third place and was happy with his front row grid spot ahead of Monday’s two races.

As the first race got underway on Monday morning he got a clean start and held his position into the first corner, before searing into the lead moments later and quickly stretching out a small gap.

At the end of the second lap the Safety Car was deployed to deal with an incident further down the field, but the youngster kept the pack in check and got a storming break at the restart.

He kept a cool head at the front for the rest of the 12 lap race, coming under pressure only once from Charlie King, who passed him on the penultimate lap.

However, Rouse was not done yet and quickly came back, taking the lead again on the final lap to take the win.

Still riding high from his earlier success, it was another third on the grid start for the teenager as the pack lined up in the blistering heat for the final race of the day.

Again he was third into the first corner and then moved straight up to second behind King who had got himself a quick get getaway from pole.

He quickly closed in on King and made the pass at Shell Oils on the second lap.

Taking control of the race, he set a strong pace at the front.

King closed up on him on lap six and made a move into the lead, but Rouse took it back straight away.

From here he came under little pressure and in the closing two laps pulled the pin and stretched himself a lead, taking the chequered flag at the end of 12 laps by 0.408secs.

Rouse said: “Two out of two is brilliant, it’s been the perfect weekend for me and the team.

“Both races went better than I could’ve hoped and I’m so happy with the results.

“I now have a 26-point lead in the championship, which is just great. For this weekend I had set my sights on two podiums as I hoped to stretch my lead in the championship.

“I honestly didn’t think I would be able to take two wins because the competition here in the Triumph Triple Challenge is so strong.

“Getting the first win was great and then it was a long day waiting to go out again, but everything was just perfect.

“My Stratstone Triumph is great, it’s a fantastic bike and I’d like to thank the whole team and all of my sponsors for making this possible.”

As a result of Monday’s two victories, Rouse sits on 111 points at the top of the championship chase.

Rouse and the Triumph Triple Challenge now have a nine-week break until the next round at the Snetterton 300 circuit, Norfolk, in July.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer