Non-League: Taylor pounces to win tie for Morpeth Town

Morpeth Town claimed a dramatic stoppage-time winner in last night's FA Cup Preliminary Round replay

Morpeth Town football club in action action
Morpeth Town football club in action action

Morpeth Town claimed a dramatic stoppage-time winner in last night’s FA Cup Preliminary Round replay against Durham City at Craik Park.

After battling for a goalless draw with 10 men at New Ferens Park on Saturday, the Northumbrians twice led but on both occasions, Durham levelled.

With extra time looming, Sean Taylor took advantage of a defensive mistake to earn his side a place in the next round.

Michael Chilton headed Morpeth ahead on 17 minutes and three minutes into the second period Denver Morris produced an absolute screamer which gave home goalkeeper Chris Rookes no chance.

Taylor restored the advantage to Morpeth with a close-range effort on 72 minutes but within three minutes the scores were again level as Scott Fenwick pounced after Morpeth goalkeeper Chris Rookes had made a partial save.

Guisborough Town went through in their replay at Bridlington Town. Trailing by two goals at the interval, Guisborough mounted a splendid rally which was rewarded with strikes by Jamie Poole, Danny Johnson, Adam Gell and Leon Carling.

In the Ebac Northern League First Division, Newcastle Benfield took Dunston UTS to the wire and the game was into stoppage time before Danny Craggs grabbed an equaliser for UTS.

Throughout the game Dunston goalkeeper Andrew Grainger was outstanding despite being beaten by Michael Riley and Paul Brayson. Gary Shaw reduced the deficit before Craggs came up trumps for the home side.

In Division Two, North Shields moved into second place with a 4-1 win at Ryton and Crawcrook Albion.

Keith Douglas, Dean Walker and Dan Hindmarch had the Robins three goals up before Paul Clark cut the deficit but Hindmarch struck again. The Shieldsmen have now scored 28 goals in six games and conceded just twice.

West Allotment Celtic jumped three places to fourth-top and prevented Seaham Red Star from moving to the top of the table when they edged a 2-1 victory at Whitley Park.

David Dorman gave them a halftime lead and after Adam Johnston equalised, Shaun Reid hit the winner in the 90th minute.

Alnwick Town are fifth-top following an excellent win at Brandon United with goals from Alex Makin, Jake Lowes, James Jackson and Dale Kennedy. Owen Lancaster replied for Brandon.

In the Wearside League, Ryhope CW maintained their early season challenge for promotion when they hit Hartlepool for six.

The visitors had their backs to the wall from the kick-off and by half-time,

Ryhope led through John Butler, Chris Winn and Nathan O’Neil (pen). Butler completed his hat-trick and Winn took Ryhope’s tally to six.

The Wearsiders have now scored 41 goals in only nine games.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer