Newcastle United’s high asking price is understood to be putting off clubs interested in Yohan Cabaye and Papiss Cisse, but the latter could still leave St James’ Park this month.
The Magpies are in no need to sell in January, and have made no secret of the fact they will only sell star names for more than their market value.
Their refusal to budge stopped Cabaye leaving in August, and could again put Paris Saint-Germain off trying to buy the midfielder this month.
With only three goals to his name this season, Newcastle are more open to selling Cisse, particularly if they can secure Borussia Monchengladbach forward Luuk de Jong as a replacement. But their £10m price tag has reportedly caused Besiktas to investigate a loan move instead.
Laurent Blanc is a long-time admirer of Cabaye’s, having given him his international debut as France manager. But when push came to shove last year, PSG did not flex their considerable financial muscle to buy the midfielder in August.
Cabaye’s refusal to play against Manchester City on the opening weekend – openly admitted by Alan Pardew at the time – alerted clubs to his availability. But neither Arsenal nor PSG were prepared to meet the asking price for a player Newcastle were reluctant to lose.
Arsenal have moved on, signing Mezut Ozil, and reports in France yesterday suggested PSG feel the Magpies have overvalued their star player at £25m.
France Football also suggested the club’s two most influential players – captain Zlatan Ibrahimovic and vice-captain Thiago Silva – have advised president Nasser al-Khelaïfi against signing the 28-year-old.
Newcastle have a long-term replacement lined up for Cabaye, but the noises from relegation-threatened Montpellier are that Remy Cabella will not be available this season.
“If they want to make an offer in the summer there will be no problem,” said their talkative president Louis Nicollin Snr.
“To let him go this winter, they must pay us what Real Madrid paid for Gareth Bale (thought to be around £90m).
“I do not want to pay huge amounts of tax this year because the budget ends on June 30 – I prefer that it is from July 1.
“If there are good offers then that will allow us to have a good season next year, especially if we are in the top division – but there is no question at all of him leaving now, I have heard a lot of old rubbish.
“I think Newcastle are interested (in Cabella) because they are undoubtedly going to say yes to Paris Saint-Germain for the cash – but we are not stupid enough to give those English Cabella for Cabaye.
“Remy is a boy that I love and who deserves better than Newcastle.”
Besiktas chairman Fikret Orman is keen to make a big-name signing this month, but missed out on Ronaldinho when the Brazil international signed a new contract at Atletico Mineiro.
But they may find they cannot afford 28-year-old Cisse permanently.
It is reported the Turkish club will seek talks today, but are unwilling to pay more than £7.5m. Instead they will suggest a loan until the end of the season.
With clubs in Qatar and India able to offer high wages but only low-quality football, Cisse will not have to sell himself cheaply in terms of wages either.
Muslim Cisse was at odds with Newcastle last summer over their shirt sponsorship deal with payday lender Wonga, and his form this season has seen him drop behind Loic Remy, Yoan Gouffran and Shola Ameobi in the striker pecking order.
Meanwhile, Pardew has ruled out Fabricio Coloccini playing in the February 1 Tyne-Wear derby.
The Argentina centre back injured his medial knee ligaments at West Bromwich Albion on New Year’s Day.
“I think he’ll return to training, maybe the Sunderland week,” Pardew said. “He certainly won’t play against Sunderland. Maybe the week after, or the week after that.
“Colo’s desperate to play football – he just wants to play.”