Velez Sarsfield's latest attempts to resurrect Gino Peruzzi’s move to Sunderland appear destined to fail.
The Black Cats pulled out of a £3.3m deal for the Argentina international right-back last week after a medical highlighted concerns over a knee ligament injury, with head coach Paolo Di Canio insisting there was “no chance” that Peruzzi would join.
However Velez are still talking up the move, with president Miguel Calello saying yesterday that they are still waiting for a “final” decision from Sunderland.
Calello said: “We have been talking to the people at the English club and during Wednesday we’re going to have a further meeting with the coaching staff.
“They are going to take a final decision to see if there is any change with respect to what they had said to us.”
But Peruzzi is at least a month away from full fitness and Di Canio, when asked about the player during Sunderland’s recent trip to Hong Kong for the Barclays Asia Trophy, made it clear the Black Cats could not afford to sign an injured player.
Di Canio said: “My club is not a club that can sign players with some problems. We are not Manchester City, who can think about buying a talented player with an injury and wait for him.
“We are not very late (in the transfer window) but I would like a player ready to join the rest of the group, because the process of integration is not just physical. They have to understand how we play, which is not easy.” Peruzzi is still feeling the after-effects of an injury he suffered playing for Velez in a Copa Argentina tie against Olimpo last April.
Calello said: “Gino has a sprained knee that emerged in the review in England.
“It has a 30-day rehabilitation and I spoke to the athletic director [at Sunderland] to see if they should wait so long for the player, as the coaching staff want to bring in a player and they wanted Gino.”
But there are no signs of Sunderland shifting their stance at present, and they have already moved on and begun looking at alternative targets.
Sunderland’s reluctance to take a chance on Peruzzi is understandable after they had their fingers burned when they brought another Argentine right-back, Marcos Angeleri, to the club in 2010.
Angeleri cost £1.5m when he arrived from Estudiantes, but aggravated a knee injury almost immediately, and went on to make just three appearances in England before being sold back to his former employers last summer at a loss.
Peruzzi’s proposed move to Sunderland has been one of the longest transfer sagas of the summer on Wearside, and another deal going on almost as long has also fallen through.
The Black Cats agreed a £2.5m fee with Panathinaikos for Greek winger Charis Mavrias at the beginning of July but, despite reports claiming that the 19-year- old is due to arrive in the North- East this week for a medical, Sunderland have decided against following up their interest.
Meanwhile, Di Canio has urged Jack Colback to make a decision over his future after the homegrown midfielder rejected Sunderland’s offer of a new contract.
Colback has just entered the final year of his current deal, but has so far resisted the club’s efforts to secure his signature on a long-term contract. Di Canio is keen to keep the versatile 23- year-old, but says Colback needs to make up his mind.
“I’ve already spoken to him twice and he’s done very well,” said Di Canio. “He’s a genuine guy with a fantastic attitude. Also, he’s got quality too.
“He has to make clear what he wants to do in the future , because if one player has it in his brain to leave, it is difficult.
“But he’s got to keep going and keep behaving like he is.
“He doesn’t look like he’s having any difficulties. He’s one of the most positive young players we’ve got. I’m very happy with him.”