Pressure growing on Kinnear to seal deals

The pressure is mounting on Joe Kinnear to finally deliver the two players that Newcastle United want to sign before the transfer window snaps shut

Newcastle United's director of football, Joe Kinnear
Newcastle United's director of football, Joe Kinnear

The Journal understands that Kinnear believes he was given a transfer fund of around £20m to spend by Mike Ashley – and the club want a striker and wide man to add to the acquisition of Loic Remy and complete their squad.

But he has been unable to make progress in a number of deals proposed over the summer – and their struggles have prompted United’s director of football to receive calls from a number of agents pitching potential forward options.

Newcastle’s modus operandi is not to sign players without a dossier of scouting work behind them and the likelihood is they will stick to a first-choice list that was compiled before Kinnear’s arrival.

United are understood to be monitoring the situation of Florian Thauvin, who is rumoured to be available despite signing for Lille in January.

Newcastle made two bids for the France under-20 striker at the turn of the year before he signed for Bastia.

The move for Bafetimbi Gomis has been torpedoed by the complications of agents’ demands, while Darren Bent has been asked to take a pay cut and a two-year contract to complete his move to Newcastle. The England striker

continues to wait for alternative options, with Crystal Palace linked over the last 48 hours.

Another name explored by Kinnear – Braga striker Eder – has hit a roadblock because the player will be missing until the start of October with a serious ligament problem.

There is no truth at all in talk of a move for Genk striker Jelle Vossen, the prolific Belgium international.

In the meantime, Pardew continues to talk up the chances of his team overcoming Manchester City, who have invested heavily over the summer.

United were beaten 3-1 by Liverpool in a behind-closed-doors friendly yesterday – a game which saw Gabriel Obertan and Vurnon Anita get much-needed minutes, while Dan Gosling scored. But Pardew believes that his team can go to the Etihad and win.

He said: “Look at Manchester City and their outlay. There’s a statistic that they have spent £400m just on strikers over the last six years. It’s phenomenal. But actually, when we get to Monday, August 19 they can only put a couple on.

“They won’t put four on – although they might do over the course of the game – but it’s still 11 v 11. You must always enter every game in the belief that you can go and win it and I’ve always done that. Even last year when we were really struggling for confidence and even personnel we had to enter the game with a game plan and a belief that you can win.

“Trust me, we will be looking to do that next season too.”

Pardew also insists the “loyalty” of his supporters is another constant that he will take into next season. He is desperate to repay that by replicating the success of the 2011/12 season.

“I haven’t got that (local knowledge) but I have got the knowledge that it’s there,” he said.

“I think there have been decisions made at this football club – both good and bad. But they always react in the same way: they turn up, they’re passionate about the team.

“There’s not many big clubs that have had quite the turmoil these fans have had and my passion is to give them something back – a trophy, success of some description.”

 

 
comments powered by Disqus

Premier League News

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer