Newcastle United turned down the chance to sign Bafetimbi Gomis over the weekend because they are confident they can land their top strike targets after the World Cup.
That confident message came as Newcastle were given the opportunity to talk to the France striker as he jetted to Swansea on Sunday. The striker’s representatives – who told United he wanted a long-term contract and a sizeable signing-on fee – had already been in negotiations with Newcastle earlier in the summer, only to find the St James’ Park hierarchy lukewarm over the move.
Gomis was in South Wales attempting to finalise the deal yesterday with Swans sources making it clear they had not broken their strict wage structure to take him to the Liberty Stadium. But they have handed him a huge signing on fee – worth several million pounds – to encourage him to join them.
In a final attempt to elicit interest, Newcastle were again given the terms that would tempt Gomis over the weekend. But their message was that they would stick to targets that were sourced earlier in the summer.
Newcastle want three Ligue 1 players – Remy Cabella, Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette and Clement Grenier. They have received positive soundings from Cabella’s camp and are set to return with a bid at the end of the World Cup.
Despite a sprinkling of suggestions linking him, there is no interest in Islam Slimani, the Sporting striker, and Newcastle will also not revisit interest in Alfred Finnbogason, the Iceland striker who played for Heerenveen and top-scored in the Eredivisie.
Meanwhile, Steven Taylor has spoken of a “massive” pre-season as he looks to make up for lost time next season. He played only 11 times last season after being sent off on the first day of the campaign.
“It’s a massive pre-season coming up for me and for the club,” he told the club’s website.
“I want us to do well and it’s important that we start well. Next season I have to kick on again, and I believe I can. There’s so much I want to do here, and hopefully it’s a good season.”