Newcastle United sources have indicated new faces at the club are unlikely while Arsenal seem to have gone cold on Yohan Cabaye
Newcastle United expect a quiet transfer deadline day - with the blow of failing to land any further reinforcements likely to be mitigated by retaining Yohan Cabaye.
Club sources have indicated that incomings are unlikely, while Arsenal have gone cold on the France midfielder - who made his return in black and white on Saturday.
Newcastle are likely to let Gabriel Obertan leave on loan - Nottingham Forest have expressed an interest - but their enquiries regarding potential targets have fallen by the wayside. They retain an interest in Florian Thauvin but Lille would have drop their £13million asking price while an initial enquiry about Demba Ba has also not been followed up.
The Journal can reveal that United were offered Fenerbahce forward Moussa Sow over the last seven days but turned the move down.
There could, of course, be late business and Newcastle’s recent experience with Andy Carroll exhibited how unpredictable the deadline day can be.
Indeed Pardew admits he will spend today “on his guard” against the possible departure of Cabaye - while hoping Newcastle United land the attacking reinforcements he has been petitioning for all summer.
Pardew says that the midfielder could be sold right up until the 11pm deadline but his latest quotes surrounding the France international suggest that he is more likely to stay at the club - at least until the end of the season.
If that happens the manager will seek talks with Cabaye in an effort to resolve the obvious tension that there has been between the player and the club. The first stage - Pardew believes - was getting him back on the pitch.
He said: “It was important to get him out there, it will make it easier to move on although there is a lot of talking to be done between now and Aston Villa.
“We need to speak with Yohan and with his representatives to make sure that we go forward hand-in-hand. The guy has a World Cup at the end of the year and he is a big part of France’s plans.
“He hasn’t been picked this week and I think that was a bit of a shock to him. It was only because of the situation because I think he’s nailed on in their team.
“That whole situation will resolve itself in the next couple of days.”
It has been a difficult summer for Newcastle but Pardew feels it would - ultimately - be successful if they manage to bring in one striker while keeping Cabaye.
He said: “I think it’s fair to say that if we can keep hold of Yohan and add someone else it will have been a fairly successful window for us.
“There’s still a lot of time. We’ve experienced that last day thing before with that whole Andy Carroll bid.
“That left us really short. I’m on my guard and we’re on our guard as a football club.”
Pardew was also delighted with the quality of the Newcastle performance against Fulham, coming after the trauma of the Manchester City visit.
The United boss thought there was an “overreaction” to the display at the Etihad and feels they are now progressing.
“I do think that everything that followed the Man City game was an overreaction, I really do.
“We had so many things going on that day - our whole gameplan went out the window when Yohan didn’t play and everything else.
“Unfortunately words mean nothing, it’s about results.
“The last two performances have shown we’re not in too bad a state.
“We looked more threatening today but previously we didn’t have Remy or Cabaye on the pitch.
“We didn’t have what I think is the right blend to really break teams down. We had options on Saturday.”
Fulham skipper Brede Hangeland is keeping his feet firmly on the ground as he plots a route through the Barclays Premier League maze.
The 32-year-old Norwegian left Newcastle on Saturday evening a frustrated man after seeing his side go within four minutes of returning with a point until Hatem Ben Arfa blasted the Magpies to victory.
However, Hangeland is pragmatic enough to know that the first task for Fulham, and indeed many of their Premier League colleagues, is to ensure their continued participation in the top flight.
He said: “I don’t speak in big words. We are very modest and we know how tough this league is, so my aim is to try to get 40 points, and the sooner the better.
“Hopefully we can do that quite early and kick on from there, but I know there are loads of big clubs and they are all spending money - probably more than us, all of them - so we need to keep our feet on the ground.”