Alan Pardew says that Newcastle United’s autumn surge means they can afford to be more “calculating” in the “difficult” January transfer window.
And while he would welcome new recruits, the Magpies boss says that the club’s fine form means they do not have to do any business in January.
The January window swings open in two weeks and United have held a series of summits over the last fortnight to outline possible targets in a window they have traditionally favoured.
With contracts winding down across the Continent and the added injection of the desperation of struggling clubs, Newcastle have been able to extract some value from the January market – most notably by securing Papiss Cisse and Mathieu Debuchy for much lower fees than they’d had turned down in the previous windows.
Last January they were in a weaker position after recognising the need to strengthen the squad to shore up their survival chances, but this year Pardew predicts a more methodical approach which will see them target one or two players to add quality rather than last year’s recruitment
drive. The club’s main senior target is to sign a striker but they are monitoring a number of players in the Massadio Haidara mould who could add strength-in-depth to their squad and promise for the future.
Lyon front man Bafetimbi Gomis’ wage demands have seen him ruled out in the early stages of the reckoning, but the Magpies have a small list of potential targets.
Pardew said: “I think we can be very calculated in this window.
“If you are in a good position, there is no need to rush anything,” he said.
“In the corresponding window last year, we really needed to do some business and when you need to do business, I think it is a difficult window.
“When you don’t need to do business, which perhaps you can argue we don’t, then maybe you can look at it in a more calculated manner.”
Just as interesting will be what kind of interest there is in Newcastle’s major assets – and fringe men who have been unable to break into Pardew’s plans.
Agent Willie McKay took to Sky Sports on Sunday to announce that Steven Taylor, who has not figured since the opening day debacle at Manchester City, might be made available for loan by Newcastle in the January window.
He has been edged out by the excellent form of Mike Williamson and the continued presence of Fabricio Coloccini, but there is little suggestion that Newcastle would be willing to let him leave on a permanent basis, especially with uncertainty continuing to cloud the United skipper’s future.
Indeed, McKay even went as far as claiming that Newcastle are interested in re-negotiating his contract, which seems improbable given his current deal extends into 2016.
But United might yet allow him to leave on a temporary basis to get more football.
“Steven is now fully fit, but he is frustrated not to be playing as that is what he loves doing,” McKay told Sky Sports.
“He has not been involved for the last six games and of course it is frustrating.
“Steven fully understands that the team have been on a good winning run and the manager does not want to change a winning team.
“(United’s director of football) Joe Kinnear has promised Steven a new deal in January and he could be made available for loan if he is not going to be playing for Newcastle.”