Skilltrainingltd Northern league

THE surprise in the Extra Preliminary Round of the FA Cup was Jarrow Roofing's defeat of Spennymoor Town .

THE surprise in the Extra Preliminary Round of the FA Cup was Jarrow Roofing's defeat of Spennymoor Town .

Roofing were relegated from Division One last season and so far have won one and lost one of their opening games. Moors have an identical record in the top flight, but Jarrow upset the form book with goals by Kevin Davison and Carl Archer (pen) after Jamie Clarke had equalised for the visitors.

Brandon United, who finished bottom of the Second Division last season, were within a minute of a shock at Billingham Town who led with a first-minute goal from Danny Earl.

The Durham side hit back and goals by Mark Odea and Lee Peachey enabled them to lead for 81 minutes until John Alexander snatched a stoppage-time equaliser.

Elsewhere, Sunderland Nissan beat Second Division Horden CW. Neil Tarrant and Andy Appleby put the Wearsiders in front but when Mark Stephenson cut the arrears, it was all to play for until Richard Hodgson scored in the final minute. An only goal by Michael Chilton proved sufficient for Newcastle Benfield Bay Plastics at Norton and Stockton Ancients, and Bedlington Terriers won by a similar margin as Martin Humble's header was the match-winner against Chester-le-Street.

Team Northumbria beat Esh Winning as former Newcastle United player Dean Critchlow hit a hat-trick. Gary McCormick also netted with Esh's goal coming from David Fort.

Andrew Bulford also hit a hat-trick in Dunston Federation's 4-0 defeat of Tadcaster. Michael Dixon also scored for Fed.

Whickham went through with an 82nd-minute winner from Paul Cavanagh at Marske United and Consett beat Pontefract Cables, even though the visitors scored first through Gareth Burton. Mattie Moffat, with two, Gary Ormston, Karl Baston and Stephen Brown replied.

Andy Johnson (2) and Mark Eckles steered Tow Law Town to victory at Thornaby while North Shields were hit for six at Crook Town after taking the lead through MacDonald. Dan Olusoga, Liam Bone, Matthew Coad, Darren Kokes, Nicholas Quinn and Tom Berj all struck for Crook.

South Shields beat Hebburn Town at Filtrona Park. A Mark Johnson hat-trick, plus goals by Mark Brocklehurst and Tony Coe, earned the Mariners a place in the Preliminary Round. Hebburn's reply came from Carl McMahon.

Warren Byrne also scored three leading Shildon home over Leeds Carnegie and West Allotment Celtic went through when Keith Douglas and Tom Vickers scored at home to Sunderland RCA.

Substitute Lee Scott earned Ashington their passage scoring after on 81 minutes against Thackley at Croft Park, while Lee Kerr (2) and Paul Chow saw Whitley Bay progress at Northallerton Town. Seaham Red Star lost to Selby Town, who went three up courtesy of Adam Russell, Shaun Gorman and Tom Matthews, Lee Hughes reducing the arrears.

Penrith, with seven goals, were the biggest scorers of the day at Darwen, who managed four of their own.

After Humberside team Hall Road Rangers had taken the lead through skipper Martin Thaker, West Auckland Town won with goals by Ian Maddison and Steve Flockett.



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer