Skilltrainingltd Northern League

WHITLEY Bay did the Skilltrainingltd Northern League proud when they sent Blue Square North side Hyde United crashing out of the FA Cup at Hillheads on Saturday.

WHITLEY Bay did the Skilltrainingltd Northern League proud when they sent Blue Square North side Hyde United crashing out of the FA Cup at Hillheads on Saturday.

Hyde are three steps ahead of the Seasiders in the pyramid system but Ian Chandler’s side took them apart in the early stages and once they had established a three-goal lead by the 23rd minute, the outcome was never in doubt.

The Bay made a dream start with Paul Chow and Chris Moore on target by the fifth minute. It got even better as Robbie Livermore made it three and although Chris Lynch reduced the deficit on 66 minutes, the Bay comfortably maintained a two-goal cushion as Hyde had Neil Tolson and Carl Munroe sent off.

Newcastle Benfield Bay Plastics lived to fight another day but they left it precariously late before gaining a last-minute equaliser at Winterton Rangers in their second qualifying round tie.

Andy Holt’s 32nd-minute header looked likely to win the game but on 90 minutes Stephen Young pounced after a shot by Michael Chilton had been parried. The replay is at Sam Smiths ground on Wednesday night.

Sunderland Nissan are the new First Division leaders after cruising to victory at Billingham Town with goals by Richard Hodgson, Andrew Appleby and Stuart Banks. Billingham’s Michael Joseph and Nissan’s Paul Stephenson were sent off in the 70th minute.

West Allotment Celtic are equal on points with Nissan after securing all three at Seaham Red Star with a Keith Douglas free kick on the half hour. Spennymoor Town conceded pole position following a goalless draw with Consett, while Billingham Synthonia are now up to fifth.

They claimed just one point from their first three games but have won the last four since Chris Rooney took over as manager. Second-half strikes by Michael Cater, James Magowan and Adam Clough earned them an easy win at Ashington.

Kane Young and Andrew Bulford, who scored in stoppage time, eased Dunston Federation to victory at Bedlington Terriers for whom Alex Lawson levelled with a 45th-minute disputed penalty. The incident resulted in Fed’s Michael Robson and Terriers’ Scott Bell being sent off.

Ryton are beginning to find their feet in the top flight and two goals in the first eight minutes, one from Liam McBryde the other an own goal, earned them their third success at the expense of Penrith, who were also promoted.

Mark Eckles’ penalty was sufficient for Tow Law Town against Northallerton Town, who had Gary Shardha dismissed for the foul, and just one goal separated Chester-le-Street from Shildon who won with Danny Moore’s late strike.

Radek Rakocinski and Stephen Warwick netted in Morpeth Town’s victory at South Shields and bottom-of-the-table Bishop Auckland lost a seven-goal thriller to neighbours West Auckland Town. After conceding the lead to Lewis Hardman, West went into a two-goal advantage courtesy of Dale Jardine (2) and Stephen Flockett. Bishops levelled with goals from Gavin Parkin and Amar Purewal but West snatched the points through Flockett.

Team Northumbria held Second Division leaders Whitehaven to a draw in Cumbria. David Dustin was a first-half marksman but it was no more than Team deserved as Adam Davey levelled on the hour.

Whickham, who had won just two of their first eight games, emerged easy winners at Thornaby with goals from Paul Cavanagh, Andrew Wilson and Mark Fitzpatrick after Tom Burke had given the home team early advantage.

Hebburn Town dented Esh Winning’s promotion push when Martin Urwin and Michael Armstrong were on target following Craig Coates’ first-minute penalty that had given the home side a dream start.

Washington hammered pointless Darlington RA thanks to Gary McCartney (2), Paul Terrell (2) and James Riordan. Paul Freary was RA’s only scorer. Prudhoe Town went down to an 83rd-minute goal by Michael Waller at Marske United and a brace of goals from Darren Kokes earned Crook Town the points at home to Jarrow Roofing.

Despite enjoying the luxury of an own goal by Stuart Wise, Birtley conceded all three points at Stokesley SC, who won with a stoppage-time effort by Lev Yalcin after Paul Campbell had equalised.

North Shields’ three-match unbeaten run came to an end at Horden CW, whose marksmen were Kevin Devine, Anthony Dobell, Ian Clark (pen) and Stuart Brightwell. Paul Gibbs’ strike was all the Robins could muster.

After making a bright start to the season Brandon United are now in the bottom six after losing to Guisborough Town for whom Lee McPhillips and David Onions found the net.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer