Skilltrainingltd Northern League

IT was a bad day for sides in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup with only Whitley Bay definitely in the next stage although Consett and Newcastle Benfield Bay Plastics are in today's draw.

IT was a bad day for sides in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup with only Whitley Bay definitely in the next stage although Consett and Newcastle Benfield Bay Plastics are in today's draw.

A Paul Chow goal midway through the second period was sufficient for Whitley Bay at Pickering Town. A long throw by Lee Picton was flicked on by Leon Ryan to Chow who turned and crashed a shot into the corner.

Newcastle Benfield BP replay at Bridlington Town tomorrow night. Tom Fleming gave the visitors a first-half lead on Tyneside but it was no more than Benfield deserved when Andrew Dugdale equalised 10 minutes from time.

Consett are still involved as their tie with North Ferriby United was postponed and hopefully will be played at Belle Vue Park on Wednesday.

Ashington, who went down to 10 men on 40 minutes with the dismissal of Paul Dunn, lost 6-0 to Durham City at Woodhorn Lane but one goal by Rory Patterson was enough for Bradford Park Avenue at Bedlington Terriers.

Halifax Town won 4-0 at Ryton with strikes from Justin Walker (2), Lincoln Adams and Paul Gedman. Despite scoring three away from home through Craig Tate (2) and Dan Olusoga, Crook Town lost 4-3 at Wakefield.

Dunston Federation were three down within half an hour to Danny Brunskill, Karl Charlton and Tom Raw but almost brought Whitby Town back to Federation Park when Stephen Preen and Mark Sheeran (pen) replied.

Bishop Auckland progressed in the FA Vase defeating Jarrow Roofing with goals from Philip Graham, Gavin Barton and Gavin Parkin. It was the third attempt to settle the tie.

Spennymoor Town still lead the First Division although they were hard-pressed before claiming the points at Penrith.

Jamie Clarke fired into the far corner before the Cumbrians equalised through Dan Robinson with 15 minutes left. Sub Glen Butterworth won it for Moors as his shot eluded goalkeeper James Holland.

West Allotment Celtic stay second despite their fixture at Tow Law Town being postponed but Sunderland Nissan are now equal on points with the Tynesiders.

They edged a five-goal thriller with South Shields when Paul Stephenson scored a late winner. Mark Johnson had given the Mariners the lead but Nissan hit back with strikes from Richard Hodgson and Andrew Appleby.

With 20 minutes left, Lee O'Donovan levelled, and it looked as if the Shieldsmen might claim a point until Stephenson struck with minutes remaining.

Morpeth Town suffered a surprise defeat at Northallerton Town who won for the first time in eight games.

Their match-winners were Stuart Jackson and Scott McNichol with Alex Benjamin on the mark for Morpeth.

West Auckland Town crushed Billingham Town as the goals flowed from Daniel Richmond (3), Paul Freary, Stephen Flockett and Stuart Owens. John Alexander and Daniel Earl scored consolation goals for the Teessiders.

Billingham Synthonia fared better than their neighbours defeating Seaham Red Star with two goals from James Magowan who on both occasions was set up by David Yale.

Esh Winning are now only three points adrift of leaders Whitehaven in Division Two after winning at Stokesley SC courtesy of David Ford, Chris Smith, Nicholas Gibson and Nicholas Martin. Lev Yalcin and Dale Mendum found the net for Stokesley.

Norton and Stockton Ancients are third after hitting Whickham 4-1.

Gary Mitchell scored three times with Richard Walker also on the mark before David Fairless claimed a last-minute consolation for the Tynesiders.

Washington lost at Guisborough Town whose second-half match-winners were Luke Bythway and Martin O'Riordan and Brandon United stumbled against Thornaby for whom Vickers, Abdullah and Hobbs were the scorers.

Horden CW appeared to be coasting to victory at Marske United after debutant Graeme Baverstock and Chris I'Anson had struck. But Marske won as Jonathan Newton, Stephen Cochrane and Derek Bradley scored within four minutes.



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer