SkillTrainingLtd Northern League

CONSETT went top of the skilltrainingltd Northern League’s first division on Saturday.

CONSETT went top of the skilltrainingltd Northern League’s first division on Saturday.

As the Steelmen were wrapping up a 4-1 home win over South Shields, Billingham Synthonia – who started the day in pole – were losing 3-1, their second reverse in five days.

At the start of the second half Consett took a 3-0 lead through Steven Johnson, Gary Ormstron and Craig Robson.

Craig Ellison replied with a penalty for Shields before Chris Scott struck his first goal for the club.

At Central Avenue, Billingham Synthonia led Shildon via Mark Casey before Warren Byrne notched a hat-trick including a last-minute penalty after he had missed one earlier.

A goal late on by Andrew Bulford sealed a 1-0 win for Dunston Federation over Whitley Bay while Chester-le-Street moved out of the bottom three after a 3-2 win over Penrith at Chester Moor Park.

Rob Draper scored the winner in the 85th minute for the Cestrians who also had Wayne Gredziak and Nick Kane on target. David Lynn and Dan Robinson replied for the Cumbrians who are fifth.

Newcastle Benfield are sixth after a 3-1 win over Bedlington Terriers on Friday. Mark Atkinson, Andy Dugdale and Michael Chilton scored for Benfield with Scott Robson replying for Terriers.

Spennymoor lost 3-2 at Northallerton who led 2-0 at the interval with goals from Sean Joseph and Carl Chillingsworth.

Chillingsworth and Moor’s Carl Beasley were sent off before a double from Jamie Clarke got the visitors level. Gabriel Radu claimed a winner for the North Yorkshire outfit.

Tow Law Town, who beat Billingham Synthonia in midweek, beat Sunderland Nissan at the Ironworks ground.

Nissan led through Paul Robinson before Lee Hamilton equalised and then scored the winner 10 minutes from time.

Ashington moved into the top half with a 3-1 win at Seaham Red Star. Gareth Bainbridge scored two and Michael Fenwick netted against Paul Atkinson’s reply for the home side.

Morpeth Town lost 4-1 at Billingham Town. Danny Earl hit a hat-trick with Leon Carling claiming the other goal for Town against Damon Mullen’s strike for Morpeth.

Ryton also improved their position after a 3-2 win at West Auckland on Friday. John Parker, Liam McBryde and Marc Walton netted for Ryton who played 72 minutes with 10 men after the dismissal of Craig Marron. Gary Barnes struck twice for West.

In the second division, leaders Whitehaven slipped to a second consecutive defeat as they lost to Marske. Second-placed Norton would have gone top but lost 1-0 at Hebburn.

Horden had Ian Clark, Anthony Dobell and Craig Hubbard on the mark at home to Esh Winning for whom Tony Hanson replied.

Jarrow Roofing moved into mid-table after goals from Craig Tait (2) and Kevin Davison gave them a 3-2 win against Prudhoe Town, who scored through David Potts and Mark Waugh.

North Shields drew 2-2 with Birtley. Dean Nicholson and Dean Lee netted for the Shieldsmen with Chris Hepple and John Sherlock for Birtley.

Adam McLane scored in Whickham’s 1-0 win at Crook Town and Christian Holliday did likewise for Darlington RA against Sunderland RCA.

Team Northumbria drew 2-2 at Guisborough while Brandon won 3-2 at Washington after trailing 2-0. Paul Dixon hit a hat-trick with replies from Paul Terrell and Martin McGonegal.

In the Northumberland Senior Cup, Craig Scott booked Walker Central’s place in the next round after the Northern Alliance side beat Skilltrainingltd Northern League side West Allotment Celtic 1-0.



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer