Northern League teams make it through to the FA Vase next round

Seven sides are in today’s draw for the Fourth Round of the FA Carlsberg Vase although Whickham will have to see off Brighouse Town tomorrow night if they are to reach the next stage

Non-league football action
Non-league football action

Seven sides are in today’s draw for the Fourth Round of the FA Carlsberg Vase although Whickham will have to see off Brighouse Town tomorrow night if they are to reach the next stage.

Three sides saw off opponents from other competitions and no-one was happier than Morpeth Town boss Nick Gray following his side’s victory at Staveley Miners Welfare.

Two goals from Michael Chilton and Stephen Forster in the last 10 minutes won the day, prompting Gray to say: “We are all delighted to be through to the next round. It’s only the second time in the club’s history that they’ve reached the last 32 so it’s been a memorable day.”

An only goal by captain Andrew Johnson proved sufficient for Ashington against Thackley. Sam Norris set up Marc Walton and when his shot was blocked, Johnson pounced.

Much-fancied Spennymoor Town went through and two goals from Gavin Cogden and Liam Henderson was scant consolation for the dominance they exerted over visitors Bridlington Town.

There were three all-ENL ties. Four-time winners Whitley Bay went out to Dunston UTS who won the trophy in 2012. UTS fully deserved their success although it took an unfortunate own goal from Brad Brooking to break the deadlock.

With 15 minutes remaining Lee McAndrew raced through on goal and fired past Tom Kindley to just about end the hopes of the Seahorses.

After trailing to Michael Sweet’s strike, West Auckland Town edged Billingham Synthonia with second-half goals from Lewis Galpin and Robbie Briggs. Jarrow Roofing faced a formidable challenge once they conceded to Paul Brayson and Billy Ions. Dan Kirkup threw them a late lifeline but Newcastle Benfield held onto a slender lead.

Whickham’s tie in West Yorkshire was postponed because the pitch was frost-bound and they’ll make a second attempt to play Brighouse Town tomorrow night.

Shildon are the new leaders of the ENL First Division after they defeated Durham City with a stoppage-time winner from Ben Wood.

Paul Connor gave them an early lead and after Steven Turnbull levelled, an own goal by Jack Walker restored the advantage to Shildon until Denver Morris equalised.

Celtic Nation were deposed from pole position following an eventful second half at Bishop Auckland.

John Butler scored the only goal but two minutes later Bishop goalkeeper Scott Pocklington was sent off and late in the game the Cumbrians went down to nine men with the dismissal of Paul Johnson and William Gibson.

Team Northumbria remain in the relegation zone following a heavy defeat at Marske United where they trailed to goals by Brian Stewart, Louis Storey (og), John Alexander, Danny Earl and Josh McDonald before Peter Watling hit a late consolation.

North Shields extended their lead in Division Two to seven points with an emphatic victory at Whitehaven courtesy of Adam Scope, with a brace, Joe Elliott and leading Scorer Gareth Bainbridge.

Heaton Stannington, whose fixture at West Allotment Celtic on Friday night was postponed, stay second since Seaham Red Star were unexpectedly defeated by Brandon United.

Seaham led for an hour through Connor Winter but Brandon hit back to claim victory thanks to Keiran Weekes and Kevin Hamilton.

Washington, who after 10 games had only a solitary point, are now 13 points clear of the relegation zone after defeating Willington courtesy of Mark Davison, James Fairley, Paul Kane and Alan Oliver. The Newtowners have now taken 26 points from a possible 39.

Ryton and Crawcrook Albion stay bottom following defeat at Alnwick Town for whom Keith Douglas, Tony Brown (pen) and Dale Kennedy struck.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer