North East non-league football round-up

SPENNYMOOR Town are now virtually neck and neck with leaders West Auckland Town in a three-way race for the STL Northern League championship.

SPENNYMOOR Town are now virtually neck and neck with leaders West Auckland Town in a three-way race for the STL Northern League championship.

Victory by the odd goal in three over Ashington means they are now just a point adrift of the leaders with both teams having four games to play.

Gareth Bainbridge chested the ball past goalkeeper Karl Dryden on 43 minutes and Moors doubled their lead as Craig Ruddy slotted the ball home from ten yards.

With just four minutes remaining, a deep free-kick from Tommy English was headed in by Andrew Dugdale.

However, Spennymoor held on for three vital points.

After losing just twice in their first 34 games, Dunston UTS have taken just one point from the last three. They stay fourth but are now five points behind West Auckland Town and four adrift of Spennymoor Town with just one game in hand on both teams.

UTS's latest set-back came at Consett where they were held to a draw. Michael Mackay scored both goals for the Steelmen with Michael Chilton and Lee McAndrew replying.

Redcar Athletic moved back to the top of the Wearside League when they hit Kirkbymoorside for six.

It wasn't until the 33rd minute that the Yorkshiremen conceded the first of six goals – however, from then on it was one-way traffic.

Before the interval James Kesterton and Lewis Wood found the target and in the second period Richie Playforth rifled a hat-trick.

Just before the end Andy Porritt compounded the misery of Kirkbymoorside, who remain third from bottom.

Redcar are two points ahead of Ryhope CW, who have a game in hand after their fixture with Boldon CA last night was called off because the pitch was waterlogged.

Stockton Town remain third despite suffering an unexpected defeat at Wolviston, who climbed out of the bottom six.

Despite dominating the opening half, Stockton went behind to Carl Barry but levelled through Tony Johnson before the break.

Wolviston improved considerably and built up a three-goal cushion thanks to Ryan Hebb, Lee Butterworth and Anthony Brown before David Johnson claimed a late second goal for the visitors.

Sunderland West End have enjoyed a very good first season and they are fourth, just a point behind Stockton Town.

The Wearsiders hammered Gateshead Leam Rangers as the goals flowed from man-of-the-match David Sewell, with a brace, Jamie Fryett, Stephen Bogie and Michael Wharton.

Annfield Plain held Prudhoe Town during the opening 45 minutes at Derwent Park but then conceded to Chris Winn and Nathaniel Burrell. The three points gives Prudhoe a chance to finish mid-table.

With just two games to play, Coxhoe Athletic are likely to be the wooden spoonists after they went down at Hartlepool despite leading at half-time.

Craig Hutchinson was an early marksman for Pool and following Stephen Ferguson's equaliser, Andrew Blackburn fired Coxhoe ahead.

Pool, though, had the better of the second period. Craig Thomas levelled and two goals in the last ten minutes from Richie Mills and Craig Hutchinson ended the hopes of Coxhoe, who are six points adrift of Silksworth Rangers.



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer