Non-league round-up

GATESHEAD will play Spennymoor Town in the final of the Durham Challenge Cup after both sides enjoyed comfortable victories last night.

GATESHEAD will play Spennymoor Town in the final of the Durham Challenge Cup after both sides enjoyed comfortable victories last night.

The Tynesiders defeated Billingham Town 4-0 at the International Stadium. James Marwood was an early scorer when he stabbed the ball into the net past goalkeeper James Briggs.

Just before the interval, Briggs saved a Martin Brittain penalty before three goals in the last 20 minutes sealed the Teessiders’ fate.

Nathan Fisher bagged a brace of goals and in added time Eddie Odhianbo completed the scoring.

Spennymoor Town also had little difficulty in their semi-final against STL Northern League Second Division opponents Esh Winning.

Two goals in the opening ten minutes from Jamie Harwood and Stephen Richardson gave Moors a dream start but right on half-time, Esh clawed their way back into the tie with a superb finish by Craig Mickle.

Early in the second period, Sonny Andrews restored Spennymoor’s two-goal cushion and a minute from the end he converted a penalty.

There were wins for Consett and Billingham Synthonia in the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup.

The Steelmen won at Norton and Stockton Ancients when all three goals were scored during a hectic opening 18 minutes.

Anthony Lund produced a bullet shot on eight minutes and Lev Yalcin levelled for Stockton in an equally clinical finish,

However within a minute, Michael Mackay struck from close-range to earn Consett a 2-1 victory.

Alnwick Town went out of the competition at Billingham Synthonia who enjoyed a 6-1 romp.

Former Blyth Spartans player Chris Emms bagged a brace with Shane Henry, Jamie Blyth, Shay Liddle and Michael Dalton also on target for Synners.

Chris Moffet claimed a consolation goal for Alnwick.

Bedlington Terriers coasted to a 3-0 victory at home to Marske United in the STL Northern League First Division.

The hosts went in front on 41 minutes when a cross from James Novak eventually found Peter Snowdon, who fired in the loose ball.

Soon after resuming, a good move enabled Craig Hubbard to sidefoot home and it was all over for the Seasiders as Hubbard volleyed past goalkeeper Graeme Willey from the edge of the penalty area.

An own goal by Mark Casey had Shildon in front at Guisborough Town but the home side hit back to take the points with strikes from Michael Roberts and Jamie Poole.

In Division Two, North Shields’ promotion hopes received another setback when they lost 2-1 at Morpeth Town.

Chris Lunn and Jonathan Fry had the Craik Park outfit two goals in front until the 90th minute when goalkeeper Michael Robinson, up with the attack, claimed a consolation for the Robins, who have taken just one point from the last 12.

Easington Colliery remain bottom despite a spirited performance against second-top Darlington RA.

Graeme Whitehead scored twice for RA in the opening half and after Hayden Pace reduced the deficit, Garry Barnes made it 3-1.

Pace then struck his second goal but Easington’s determined challenge failed to earn them an equaliser.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer