Non-League round-up

JARROW Roofing cruised into the third round of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup with a 4-0 victory over Whitehaven on South Tyneside last night.

JARROW Roofing cruised into the third round of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup with a 4-0 victory over Whitehaven on South Tyneside last night.

Josh Allen headed in a corner after 15 minutes and David Carson made it two, firing under goalkeeper Stuart Pratchett. Right on the stroke of half-time, the Cumbrians were left with an uphill task as they conceded a third goal to Darren Reay, who gave the goalkeeper no chance.

Midway through the second period Darren Palmer also struck when he beat the offside trap.

In the Ebac Northern League First Division, Team Northumbria extended their winning sequence following a closely-fought match with Consett at Belle Vue Park.

Ryan King hit the post for the Steelmen after half an hour and with 14 minutes left on the clock Mark Fenwick scored the only goal.

The ball fell nicely to him in a crowded goalmouth and he prodded home from 10 yards.

Whitley Bay’s hopes of taking third spot received a setback when Bishop Auckland, who also have their eyes on a top-three finish, won with two late strikes at Hillheads.

Aaron Wearmouth delivered an excellent cross in the 76th minute which Andrew Johnson converted and in the last minute Craig Hodgson’s shot found the net via a post.

West Auckland Town hit Sunderland RCA for six as the goals flowed from Mattie Moffat (2), John Campbell, Adam Wilkinson, Stuart Banks and Peter Bulmer.

Brian Close bagged a brace for the Wearsiders but by then they trailed by five goals.

Following a spell of indifferent results, Dunston UTS bounced back at the expense of Hebburn Town, who haven’t won in the last 11 games.

It was the South Tynesiders though who scored first when Wayne Gredziak produced a great finish but within four minutes Andy Bulford levelled with a header.

Bulford headed UTS in front on the hour mark and in added time, he completed his hat-trick with a free-kick from 25 yards.

Billingham Town, fighting against relegation, held Ashington to a draw at the halfway stage but then crumbled and the Colliers raced into an 8-1 lead.

Marc Walton rifled a hat-trick, Andrew Johnson and Paul Antony both struck twice, and Matthew Grieve rounded off an excellent second half performance by the Colliers. Nicky Martin had levelled at 1-1.

Celtic Nation and Newton Aycliffe shared the points in Cumbria. James Earl was a first-half marksman for the hosts and just before the hour mark, Martin Young restored parity.

South Shields claimed a valuable point in their battle to avoid relegation.

James Oates headed in an Ollie Hotchkiss free-kick for Durham City and Liam Henderson equalised midway through the second half.

In Division Two, Morpeth Town kept alive their promotion prospects with victory at Chester-le-Street where Michael Chilton converted a penalty before Steven Anderson added the second goal.

At the other end of the table, Alnwick Town improved their chances of avoiding the drop when they saw off the challenge from Tow Law Town with strikes from Tony Brown and Daniel Thompson.

Birtley Town, meanwhile, edged further away from the drop zone with victory over Esh Winning.

Luke Wilson and James Allsopp were the match winners with Ryhs Kenny replying with a last-minute penalty.



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer