Non-league football round-up: Shildon extend their lead

Shildon have extended their Ebac Northern League First Division lead to six points after a win last night over Newton Aycliffe

Non-League football
Non-League football

Shildon extended their lead at the top of the Ebac Northern League First Division to six points with last night’s 3-0 victory over Newton Aycliffe.

The home side dominated the opening half but went in just one goal ahead. Lee Paul Scroggins delivered a clinical finish from 25 yards past Andrew Spence.

Two goals in as many minutes early in the second half sealed Aycliffe’s fate.

On 53 minutes Mark Hudson converted a penalty and Ben Wood completed the win when he rounded Spence.

Ashington moved into fourth place when they too won by a three-goal margin at Morpeth Town. Marc Walton’s early penalty was pushed onto the post by Stephen Mundy and Glen Taylor fired in the rebound.

Immediately on resuming Taylor drove past Mundy from 15 yards and Morpeth suffered a double blow in the 65th minute.

David Hiftle brought down Walton and was sent off before Walton converted the penalty.

Newcastle Benfield and Bishop Auckland shared the points at the Sam Smiths Ground. Tony Stephenson lobbed goalkeeper Scott Pocklington for Benfield’s opener but Bishops hit back through Danny Brunskill.

James Luccock restored the advantage to the Tynesiders only for Brunskill to strike again nine minutes from the end.

Celtic Nation consolidated third place and are now just a point behind Spennymoor Town following a 4-1 win at Crook Town.

The Cumbrians made a dream start, scoring twice in the opening 10 minutes courtesy of Colin McMenamin and Michael Rae.

Crook fought their way back into the game with a goal from Craig Hughes on 38 minutes but their hopes wilted as Rae completed a hat-trick, scoring twice in two minutes immediately before the interval.

Team Northumbria went down to Guisborough Town. After holding their own for most of the game the visitors conceded twice to Danny Johnson in the final 11 minutes.

North Shields moved to within a point of Second Division leaders Heaton Stannington when they went nap against Esh Winning at the Daren Persson Stadium.

Dan Smart and Gareth Bainbridge both bagged a brace with Dean Holmes also beating goalkeeper Ryan Graham.

In the Wearside League, Ryhope CW took over pole position with a crucial victory at third-top Cleator Moor Celtic. Chris Winn (2), Jack Pounder (2) and Michael Charlton netted with Ryan Hall and Craig Scott replying for the Cumbrians.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer