Non-league football round-up

A round-up of the week's non-league footballing action from around the region

Non-league football action
Non-league football action

Blyth Spartans strolled to a 3-0 victory over bottom-of-the-table Droylsden in last night’s Evo-Stik League Northern Premier Division game at Croft Park.

Spartans made the running from the kick-off and it was no surprise when the home side eventually broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark.

Damen Mullen crossed from the right for Mathew Wade to control the ball on the edge of the box and volley into the roof of the net before goalkeeper Sam Andrew could react.

Two minutes later a strong drive by Maguire was parried to safety by Andrew but in the 37th minute Spartans doubled their advantage.

Wade won the ball in midfield and released Sonny Andrews who struck from 18 yards when one on one with the ‘keeper.

Spartans remained dominant in the second half and were rarely troubled by the visitors. In the last minute, Robbie Dale pulled the ball back for Ryan Cummings to score his first goal for the club.

West Allotment Celtic went out of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup at Willington, who roared to a 4-1 win.

Aidan Goodey hit a direct free-kick past the wall and goalkeeper Robert Ferguson from 25 yards and Liam Whitworth made it two, hitting the target from the edge of the penalty box.

Graeme Lazonby struck from close range to leave Allotment with a formidable challenge. Their hopes temporarily rose as Bartomeu Oliver-Berga netted on 68 minutes but within seven minutes, Willington were again three goals ahead courtesy of Adam Pinkney.

In Division One of the Ebac Northern League, Team Northumbria succumbed to Bishop Auckland where they played for 68 minutes with 10 men.

Dean Douglas’s 20 yard shot cannoned into the net off a post on 16 minutes and in the 22nd minute David Colvin was shown red for handling a John Butler cross.

Butler converted the resultant penalty.

With nine minutes left on the clock Bishop’s added a third goal as Robert Moncur got in between two defenders and bundled the ball into the net.

West Auckland Town remain unbeaten after defeating Guisborough Town 3-2 with goals by Warren Byrne, Dennis Knight and Paul Garthwaite. Michael Roberts and Danny Johnson replied.



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer