Non-league: Close, but no change of luck for Hebburn Town

Hebburn Town, with only one point from seven Ebac Northern League First Division games so far this season

Non-league football action
Non-league football action

Hebburn Town, with only one point from seven Ebac Northern League First Division games so far this season, were desperately unlucky to lose at Marske United last night.

Marske, with six wins and a draw in seven matches, were struggling to maintain their unbeaten record when, in the last minute, they snatched a dramatic winner.

Liam O’Sullivan fired through a crowded goalmouth past goalkeeper Andrew Hunter.

Glen Butterworth gave the Seasiders the lead early in the second half and on 69 minutes Hebburn’s Lewis Lynch walked the ball into the net following a mix-up in the Marske box.

West Auckland Town maintained their unbeaten record but they almost let Morpeth Town back into the game.

Just past the hour mark they were leading by three goals from Stephen Richardson, Stuart Banks and Jonathan Wright, who converted a penalty when making his debut following his transfer from Heaton Stannington.

With 12 minutes remaining, Michael Chilton threw Morpeth a lifeline and in the last minute Jack Palmer reduced the deficit to a single goal.

Two games were abandoned because of fog. Whitley Bay were leading Guisborough Town 2-1 when the referee called a halt due to poor visibility.

Guisborough went ahead on seven minutes when a shot by Lewis Wood found the net via a post.

It took the Seahorses only 11 minutes to reply. Paul Chow crossed from the left and Paul Antony struck past goalkeeper Ben Escritt from 10 yards.

Just before the interval Chow was brought down and converted the resultant penalty.

Ashington’s game with Consett at Woodhorn Lane was called off at half-time as conditions worsened.

The Colliers made a splendid start, scoring twice in the opening 17 minutes.

After just nine minutes Marc Walton and Sam Norris combined for Glen Taylor to

bury a shot into the bottom corner of the net from 20 yards.

Kyle Oliver made it two with a clinical finish past Jack Norton from 22 yards, but two goals in a minute, put Consett back in the game.

After 29 minutes, a free-kick by Calvin Smith took a deflection off Michael Mackay, giving goalkeeper Karl Dryden no chance.

And almost immediately, a defensive blunder presented Luke Sullivan with a chance and he rifled the ball into the net.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer