Newcastle United won't buy a British striker because they cost too much

Alan Pardew struggles to understand why UK-based players can command such high fees

Getty Images Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew

Alan Pardew will not consider buying British in his search for a striker this week because all the possibilities are too expensive.

Newcastle United’s need for another centre-forward was again exposed at Villa Park on Saturday when, despite dominating possession and creating many chances, for the second Premier League match in a row they finished without a goal.

Yet if Newcastle do conduct any business before the transfer window shuts, then they will again look abroad.

Pardew has been stunned by some of the fees paid out for UK-based players, including those who have yet to taste the Premier League.

Jordan Rhodes is set for a move to Hull City from Blackburn Rovers for £12million, while Shane Long and Ross McCormack have cost similar sums of money.

Pardew believes these figures put off clubs, including his own, from buying British talent and therefore too many young players are stuck at big clubs unable to get a move or a game.

So, if this much-needed striker does arrive, Pardew expects him to come from Europe where clubs do get far more for their money.

He said: “We keep talking about British players and English players being promoted, but every time you try to go and buy one in Britain it is very difficult.

“They become stuck in the system and it’s such a shame.

“If we could have realism around our own strikers (in terms of price) then maybe they would have more opportunities. “Roy Hodgson (who was at Villa Park) wants as many options as he can have but if you looking out there for British strikers there aren’t too many.

“There are good players in the background, particularly in the top five clubs, and it is a shame they can’t get their chance and a platform to play.”

Newcastle’s lack of a cool head in front of goal, plus good goalkeeping from Aston Villa’s Brad Guzan, prevented them from taking all three points from Villa Park.

A 0-0 draw was neither a disaster or a success, although Pardew declared himself satisfied by his team.

He added: “I thought we deserved to win at Villa.

“I felt we controlled maybe 75 per cent of that game.”

Pardew will now take his team to Gillingham on Tuesday for a Capital One Cup match.

Peter Taylor’s side lost 4-1 at Barnsley on Saturday and have taken four points from their four games so far and sit in 18th place in League One.

There will be changes in the United line-up on Tuesday night.

Rolando Aarons will be brought back into contention, Pardew electing not to put the 18-year-old on the bench on Saturday.

One or two others who so far have only been given substitute appearances, Ayoze Perez for instance, could start down in Kent.

Whatever team he begins the game with, Pardew believes there is enough there to do the job.

He said: I think we have much more depth to our team.

“The last two or three years in the Premier League we have lost key players like Remy and Yohan Cabaye and the players who have come in just haven’t been able to carry the flag.

“That’s not to say they are poor players, but we just needed a little bit more quality.

“We have more depth now. Aarons (pictured) and Adam Armstrong are coming through as well. We have good young players.

“It is a shame we didn’t win at Villa, but I am still smiling and fairly confident about the team.”


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer