Alan Pardew has reiterated his “deep regret” over the incident that yesterday saw him handed a seven-game suspension and a £60,000 fine by the Football Association.
The Newcastle United manager will be banned from Craven Cottage for Saturday’s Premier League game against Fulham, and from St James’ Park for the subsequent visits of Crystal Palace and Everton.
Thereafter, he will serve a touchline ban during home games against Manchester United and Swansea City, and trips to Southampton and Stoke City.
John Carver and Steve Stone will assume greater team responsibilities during those matches. Pardew is expected to return to the technical area for the Magpies’ scheduled game at Arsenal on Monday, April 28.
The 52-year-old had accepted a charge of improper conduct following an altercation at the KC Stadium on March 1, when he headbutted Hull City midfielder David Meyler during Newcastle’s 4-1 victory .
Pardew was sent to the stands by referee Kevin Friend (and Meyler booked).
He offered his apologies to all concerned after the final whistle, but United acted swiftly to issue Pardew with a formal warning and a £100,000 fine.
And following a personal hearing at the FA’s Wembley headquarters, which lasted around three hours yesterday, a statement from the game’s governing body confirmed the Newcastle boss’ further punishment.
It read: “ Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew will serve a seven-match suspension with immediate effect, subject to any appeal, after he admitted an FA misconduct charge.
“An Independent Regulatory Commission today ruled the first three matches imposed are a stadium ban with the remaining four a touchline ban.
“Pardew was also fined £60,000 and warned as to his future conduct.”
Neither Pardew nor United are of a mind to appeal. Instead, a club statement read: “The club and Pardew have accepted the decision and now wish to draw a line under the matter.”
Pardew said: “As I have made clear, I deeply regret the incident and again wholeheartedly apologise to all parties for my conduct, which I understand was not acceptable.
“I will accept the punishment handed down by the FA today.
“My focus now turns to preparing the team for this weekend’s game against Fulham and finishing the season as strongly as possible.”
To that end, Newcastle are exploring the logistical viability of installing video analysis equipment in a hotel room nearby Craven Cottage, relaying footage of Saturday’s match to Pardew, who would in turn be able to contact Carver and Stone with any instructions.
For the ensuing two games at St James’, the manager could be holed up similarly at the club’s Benton training ground.
Meanwhile, on the day it came to light that Mike Ashley could be in line for a £67 million share bonus as reward for his “substantial contribution” to the success of Sports Direct, comments emerging from Loic Remy supplied the strongest suggestion yet that the striker’s future lies away from St James’.
The 27-year-old is on a season-long loan from Queens Park Rangers, and is Newcastle’s leading goalscorer with 13.
United had hoped QPR’s financial problems, exposed last week, might improve their chances of landing the player on a permanent basis.
However, though grateful to a “great club” for supporting him while, until last month, an allegation of rape hung over his head, Remy has revealed his desire to play for a “top-five European club”.
He said: “At QPR, during the first half of 2013, I had a good six months.
“But this (rape allegation) story cooled a lot of clubs.
“I had the chance to come to Newcastle – a great club that I thank. They supported me a lot in this case. The verdict (that no further action would follow his initial arrest last May) was a great weight lifted.”
Remy added: “Nowadays, without being pretentious, I might be able to play for a bigger club, a top-five European club.
“I do not know. Yes, I will be part of the European top five, or I will be part of a very large club. I’m sure of what I can do. I can still be much better.”