Mathieu Debuchy club commitment comments cause confusion

An alternative translation has emerged which casts doubt on whether Mathieu Debuchy refused to commit himself to Newcastle United beyond this season

Michael Regan/Getty Images Mathieu Debuchy of Newcastle United
Mathieu Debuchy of Newcastle United

Doubt has been cast on reports Newcastle United defender Mathieu Debuchy has refused to commit to the club beyond next season.

A number of media outlets have reported the Frenchman had suggested he did not know if he would still be at the club next season.

Debuchy has been one of the Magpies’ best-performing players this season but his closest friend in football Yohan Cabaye left for Paris Saint-Germain in January.

There were suggestions the Parisians also considered a move for the France right-back.

PSG are managed by Laurent Blanc, who gave both their international debuts.

Reports in Germany have suggested Bayern Munich are interested in Debuchy.

However, a translation carried out by Newcastle fanzine The Mag suggested Debuchy’s words to a French radio station had been misinterpreted.

When asked if he had any plans to leave St James’ Park, Debuchy is said to have replied, “No, (I’m not moving), yeah I am here.”

The interviewer then followed up by asking, ”What about next year, you might join him (Cabaye), you never know?”

Debuchy’s reply was widely reported as being he did not know what would happen at the end of the season, but The Mag has claimed what he actually said was “No, it’s not that”.

Debuchy has missed four games through suspension this season but those are the only matches he has not started.

As one of the Premier League’s best right-backs, Debuchy will inevitably be in demand this summer and could easily be tempted by a move to a Champions League club. As Newcastle showed in Cabaye, all of their players have their price.

However, the alternative translation suggests he may not have been as non-committal as reported.

Debuchy will be a key figure on Sunday as the Magpies look to end a run of five consecutive home defeats. It is a run Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert aims to exploit.

The Scot said: “The expectancy will be on Newcastle. They have been beaten at home pretty heavily in the last few games.

“We are going to go there on the front foot because if we do then their crowd might become edgy. Any club which has a big fanbase, especially at home they expect to win. When things are going against you then you can hear the grumblings.

“Sometimes as a player it can get to you.”

The Magpies’ last two home games have ended in 3-0 and 4-0 defeats, but they expect to bring back Loic Remy from suspension and Cheick Tiote and Fabricio Coloccini from injury.

Meanwhile, reserve goalkeeper Rob Elliot could win his first Republic of Ireland cap after being called into the squad for Wednesday’s friendly at home to Serbia.

The 27-year-old is one of three goalkeepers in the squad, along with Millwall’s David Forde and Darren Randolph of Birmingham City.

Shay Given, who has reluctantly left Middlesbrough at the end of his loan spell with the Championship squad has again be overlooked.

The former Newcastle goalkeeper has not been selected since reversing his decision to retire from international football last season.

Shola Ameobi is in the USA playing for Nigeria against Mexico, while Paris hosts Papiss Cisse’s Senegal v Mali.

Newcastle do not have a game the following weekend as Everton will be in the FA Cup quarter-finals.

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer