Luuk de Jong open to NUFC offer says agent

LUUK de Jong’s agent has confirmed Newcastle United’s ongoing interest in the Holland striker – and hinted that the forward would be open to an offer from the Magpies.

FC Twente footballer Luuk De Jong
FC Twente footballer Luuk De Jong

LUUK de Jong’s agent has confirmed Newcastle United’s ongoing interest in the Holland striker – and hinted that the forward would be open to an offer from the Magpies.

De Jong’s representative Louis Laros revealed to the Journal that United – who have tabled an £8million offer for the striker – have not been able to agree a fee with FC Twente for the forward so far.

He has also warned that there have been a multitude of enquiries from all over Europe for De Jong, who is set to leave the Eredivisie for a new challenge this summer. He confirmed there were “more than six” clubs who have registered their interest in the highly-rated striker.

But in news that will hearten Newcastle fans, he said that De Jong has already rejected several of the offers out-of-hand. United are one of the clubs he would be happy to talk to if a deal can be brokered with FC Twente.

All parties are now waiting for Newcastle to make a fresh offer, with a second bid of £9.5million understood to be under consideration.

In meantime Laros revealed to the Journal that De Jong, who is on holiday for three weeks after his involvement in Euro 2012, would not be rushed into making a decision on his future.

“I can only confirm that there has been interest from Newcastle in Luuk,” he told the Journal.

“I know that Newcastle are following him, that is no secret, but a club must first agree a fee with FC Twente and so far this has not happened. I really don’t know what will happen next.

“It is not up to us at this moment, it is up to those clubs to show an interest and agree a financial deal with Twente.

“They are not the only club that has shown an interest, there has been a lot of

clubs from all over Europe. More than five or six – but that is normal for a player who has scored 25 goals in the Eredivisie and is in the national side.

“It has got to be the right club for Luuk, and a club that Luuk likes. He has already rejected several clubs who are interested because they are not the right move. I can confirm that Newcastle are not one of the clubs that he has rejected.

“He would be the perfect fit for the Premier League. He is only young and there is no doubt about his quality – no-one is debating that.

“Now the most important thing is to find the right club for Luuk, which is what we will do.”

Newcastle have signaled their summer intent by tabling offers for Ajax’s Vurnon Anita, Lille’s Mathieu Debuchy and De Jong.

United see De Jong as being another part of their attacking armoury next season rather than as a direct replacement for Demba Ba, who they are desperate to keep at St James’ Park.

With Newcastle having already let Peter Lovenkrands go following the expiration of his contract, they are also hoping to raise money from the sale of Leon Best. The club were staying tight-lipped over reports Blackburn had tabled a £2million offer for the Republic of Ireland international but it is well known that the club are prepared to let Best leave this summer.

Celtic are also interested in the striker, who was the subject of a loan enquiry from the Glasgow giants during the January transfer window.

United will also listen to offers for unwanted Nile Ranger – who is wanted by Barnsley and Sheffield Wednesday – and will allow Fraser Forster to leave this summer.

 
comments powered by Disqus

Premier League News

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer