Loic Remy and Mathieu Debuchy back for Newcastle United

French pair Loic Remy and Mathieu Debuchy hand Alan Pardew a welcome boost ahead of visit of Swansea

Action Images / Lee Smith Newcastle United's Loic Remy
Newcastle United's Loic Remy

Loic Remy and Mathieu Debuchy are expected to return to the Newcastle United line-up for Saturday’s home game against Swansea City, The Journal understands.

Remy has missed the last six Premier League games with a calf injury, during which time the Magpies have won once, at home to Crystal Palace, lost five and scored only one goal. His absence throughout the course of the season has seen Newcastle win just two league games, lose nine and score twice.

With the 13-goal leading scorer on the pitch, they have 12 league wins although seven defeats.

Debuchy has been sidelined by a groin problem for the same period.

But while he is understood to be close to resuming full participation in training, Remy already has and sources suggest that such has been the sense of disillusionment surrounding recent results that both will be involved, most likely from the start, on Saturday.

United have lost 11 of their last 16 league games.

Though likely still to retain a bonus-induced top 10 finish, they are desperate to improve their form before the end of a campaign once promising but, now, threatening to conclude with a whimper. And to that effect, midfielder Vurnon Anita says all involved at St James’ Park must “stick together”.

Michael Regan/Getty Images Mathieu Debuchy of Newcastle United
Mathieu Debuchy of Newcastle United
 

“The victories are not coming but we need to keep on working hard, and everybody stick together, the players, the fans, the trainers,” he said.

“Everybody needs to stick together in the last four games to put a smile on everybody’s face. If I could (explain Newcastle’s form slump) it wouldn’t be like this.

“That’s football, but I think we just need to stick together because we are now in a corner where the points are falling. So we need to stick together.”

Asked has he ever played in a team that found goals so hard to come by, Anita told BBC Radio Newcastle: “Not really. But you have periods in competition when that happens and now we are in that position, and we need to keep on working hard to get in the box because we get the chances but we don’t score.

“If you see the goal that we conceded (at Stoke), it was a little bit of luck. We created chances but we didn’t score. We need to go on. I think we are closer than last week, so let’s hope that we are even closer to winning (on Saturday). We are a team, that’s the main thing. A team, a club. So everybody needs to stick together.”

He added: “Everybody is hoping for results and for points, and we are as well. So there’s going to be pressure, of course, for everybody but we need to play the game and especially enjoy the game.”

Meanwhile, sources in Italy claim Newcastle have an interest in Udinese midfielder Emmanuel Badu, who can also operate in defence. However, Liverpool are understood to be leading the chase, which also includes Napoli, for the 23-year-old Ghanian international.

Udinese value Badu, who has three goals this season, in the region of £7million.

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer