Late lapses again prove costly for Gateshead FC

Gateshead FC conceded two goals in the last 13 minutes for the second time in four days

Gateshead new signing Richard Brodie scores
Gateshead new signing Richard Brodie scores

Gateshead conceded two goals in the last 13 minutes for the second time in four days but while Saturday’s late collapse in the FA Cup at Oxford was not fatal, this double turned victory into defeat.

Leading 2-1, the Tynesiders were pegged back when Andy Bishop equalised with his second of the night, this time from the penalty spot, the striker then completing his hat-trick three minutes into stoppage time.

Gateshead had turned the game on its heads with two goals in two minutes late in the first half after Bishop had opened the scoring after 23 minutes but were unable to hold on.

The Tynesiders forced an early corner from which James Curtis headed wide but it was Wrexham whose probing was rewarded midway through the opening half.

Rob Ogleby put a header over the bar from Jay Harris’s cross and then Joe Clarke, a handful early on, also put an effort over Adam Bartlett’s bar. When the breakthrough came it was former Bury striker Bishop who provided it after Gateshead conceded a free-kick.

Dave Artell’s flick fell for Bishop who made no mistake from close in.

Bartlett then saved from former Southampton striker Brett Ormerod before Wrexham were left rocking on their heels from a two-goal blast.

Joslain Mayebi made a hash of Marwood’s shot to put Gateshead level and then Boyes hit a low, angled drive into the net. Wrexham made a double substitution with a third of the game remaining. Adrain Cieslewicz and Theo Bailey-Jones were thrown on to stretch the Gateshead defence and the Dragons forced an equaliser in the 77th minute.

Curtis, who had headed a Colin Larkin cross over the bar, was then penalised for climbing on Artell and Bishop drove home the spot kick.

Mark Carrington’s cross saw Bishop glance a header past Bartlett to steal victory at the death and complete the double over Gateshead.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer