FA Carlsberg Vase

THERE was disappointment for Whitley Bay and Ashington in the FA Carlsberg Vase on Saturday, but Shildon did reach the last 16.

THERE was disappointment for Whitley Bay and Ashington in the FA Carlsberg Vase on Saturday, but Shildon did reach the last 16.

The Seahorses, four times winners in the last decade, went out to Essex side Brantham Athletic, who won scoring the only goal in extra time.

Manager Ian Chandler thought there was no way his side deserved to lose.

He said: “We tried our hardest and couldn’t have done much more.

“It was one of those days when we couldn’t get in front. We have to take it on the chin and move on.”

The Seahorses dominated for good spells but found Brantham goalkeeper Ryan Bedingfield in magnificent form.

In the opening half he saved from Ash Davis, Paul Chow and Paul Robinson.

Early in the second period Bedingfield again excelled as Davis looked like scoring and the goalkeeper then went down low to prevent Paul Robinson’s strike from entering the net.

It was all Whitley with Craig McFarlane and Davis close to breaking the deadlock.

Seahorses goalkeeper Kyle Hayes had had little to do, but in the last minute of normal time he saved a header from David Grimwood and made two good blocks.

In extra time, though, he was beaten as Grimwood found the net in a goalmouth scramble.

For most of the game Ashington were chasing Bodmin Town, who finished 3-2 winners.

The Cornish side went in front after only 10 minutes when Glyn Hobbs beat the offside trap and rounded goalkeeper Karl Dryden before burying a shot into the empty net.

The Colliers came more into the game towards the end of the opening half, with Glen Taylor twice going close, and early in the second period he converted a penalty for the equaliser.

Within five minutes, however, Bodmin were back in front with Steve Colwell firing in a rebound, and four minutes from the end of normal time Adam Carter left Ashington with a mountain to climb.

Mattie Grieve reduced the deficit to a single goal in the 92nd minute but there was hardly time for Ashington to mount another raid.

Manager Gary Middleton said: “We didn’t perform to our potential, and at this stage of the competition you are going to go out if you fall short.

“In the final few minutes we threw everything at them but couldn’t claim an equaliser and earn extra time.” Shildon now travel to Whitley Bay’s conquerors Brantham Athletic in the last 16 after they defeated Bitton 2-0.

It was one-way traffic for most of the 90 minutes and only a man-of-the-match performance by Bitton goalkeeper Sam Alexander restricted the visitors to two goals.

The first came midway through the opening half when Robbie Briggs blasted the ball into the net from outside the penalty area.

Bitton had Hanin Romohane sent off on 55 minutes for a handling offence but Briggs’ spot-kick was brilliantly saved.

Five minutes later Shildon were awarded a second penalty which this time was entrusted to Mark Hudson, and he made no mistake.

Manager Gary Forrest said: “I thought the lads were fantastic and their work rate phenomenal.

“We thoroughly deserve to go through and I can’t wait for the next round.”

Dunston UTS will make a third attempt to play their tie in Tunbridge Wells on Saturday when Spennymoor Town will be at home to Lordswood, also in the fourth round.

ALL games affecting Wearside League teams were postponed.



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer