FA Carlsberg Vase / STL Northern League

IT was another good day for the STL Northern League in the FA Carlsberg Vase.

IT was another good day for the STL Northern League in the FA Carlsberg Vase.

Wins for Dunston UTS and Billingham Synthonia took the number of teams in the last 16 to an impressive five with at least one guaranteed a place in the quarter finals.

Following a disappointing performance at Wisbech Town, Dunston fully deserved to win the replay when man-of-the-match Andrew Bulford (2) and Stephen Goddard struck.

Wisbech had Anthony Reeve sent off after 37 minutes but by then Billy Irwin’s side were two goals in front. They went three ahead before Chris Bacon claimed a consolation for the visitors.

Billingham Synthonia were in Cheshire for their replay at Runcorn Town, where goals from David Abel and Danny Earl had them comfortable until Jason Carey threw the outcome wide open with his 85th-minute strike.

Synners held on and join Dunston, Ashington, Whitley Bay and West Auckland Town in the next stage.

West Auckland’s anticipated easy victory over Jarrow Roofing didn’t materialise but they still edged home to retain pole position in the First Division.

The leaders were shocked by Calvin McMahon’s second-minute strike but then went three goals up through Mattie Moffat (2), Stephen Brown and Michael Rae before McMahon claimed his second goal.

Whitley Bay were taken to the wire by Penrith before winning 2-1.

Robert Bowman gave the Cumbrians a first-half lead and after Robbie Dale levelled, the game was into the last minute before Paul Chow hit the winner.

Sunderland RCA are third after they could only draw with improving Consett, for whom David Scorer and Anthony Lund cancelled out earlier strikes from Joe Walton and Glen Robson.

Spennymoor Town are also in contention and, following a heavy defeat in their previous game, bounced back at the expense of Marske United.

Daniel Moore and Sonny Andrews (pen) both scored in the opening 10 minutes.

Following their recent heroics, Ashington were held at Newton Aycliffe for whom Dan Mellenby equalised Mark O’Dea’s opening goal. In added time, Andrew Johnson struck the Aycliffe crossbar.

A hat-trick by Peter Kane swept South Shields to victory at Norton and Stockton Ancients, while Andy Johnson went one better in the scoring stakes when he struck four times for Bishop Auckland in the 5-0 defeat of Billingham Town. Dan Hawkins had given his team the early advantage.

Stephen Stewart and Anthony Shandran were Bedlington Terriers’ matchwinners at home to Shildon, whose reply was credited to Nick Kane.

Second Division leaders Team Northumbria enjoyed their biggest win since they joined the Northern Alliance in 2001 when they put 14 goals past bottom-of-the-table Easington Colliery, who indicated they wished to withdraw from the league, although the club will hold an emergency meeting tonight to decide their future.

Peter Watling top-scored with five goals, Tom Davies recorded a hat-trick with Nick Deverdics (2), Lee Scott (2), Mark Fenwick and Mark Bertram adding to the woes of Easington, who look destined for a return to the Wearside League.

Darlington RA, who defeated Crook Town on Friday night, are second and Gillford Park, whose game was postponed, stay third.

West Allotment Celtic are up to fourth following a grandstand finish against Alnwick Town, who led with two goals from John Colley.

A second-half fightback saw goals from Gary Day and Chris Rue restore parity; in the last minute John Pendlebury headed a winner.

North Shields, who last lost an away game in 2010, finally succumbed at Washington thanks to a brace from Lee Hamilton. Dean Holmes scored a consolation.



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer