FA Carlsberg Vase / EBAC Northern League

THERE was joy for Spennymoor Town and Shildon but despair for Dunston UTS when they flew the flag in the FA Carlsberg Vase on Saturday.

THERE was joy for Spennymoor Town and Shildon but despair for Dunston UTS when they flew the flag in the FA Carlsberg Vase on Saturday.

Moors and Shildon comfortably reached the quarter-finals and eagerly await today’s draw but, despite a barnstorming effort at Tunbridge Wells, the Tynesiders went out.

The only goal came in the 66th minute when Andy Irvine fired home and, despite mounting constant pressure in the later stages, UTS just could not break down the home defence.

In contrast, neither Spennymoor Town nor Shildon had any difficulty scoring.

Despite conceding the lead to Bemerton Heath Harlequins’ Danny Young, Moors stormed home with strikes from Mark Davidson (2), Craig Ruddy and Gavin Cogdon. Kane O’Keefe managed a second for the visitors but Spennymoor could have won by a bigger margin.

Billy Greulich-Smith, with a brace, Sam Garvie and Mark Hudson (pen) swept Shildon to victory at Brantham Athletic, who managed just one goal from Simon Mann.

Spennymoor are also battling for the Ebac Northern League championship but they face a fight with Darlington 1883, whose efforts show no signs of weakening.

The Quakers hit nine-man Hebburn Town with a seven-goal blitz as Amar Purewal (2), Craig Gott (2), Terry Galbraith (pen), Chris Emms and David Dowson all struck.

Tony Stephenson levelled at 1-1 and it might have been different had Hebburn not had Lee Harrison and Jeff Forsyth sent off in the opening 23 minutes. At the other end of the table, Newcastle Benfield, with their new managerial pair of Steve Bowey and Gareth McAlindon in charge, eased their relegation worries by defeating Sunderland RCA.

Stephen Young scored the only goal and then had a penalty saved by Lewis Graham. RCA handed a debut to Patrick McClean, brother of Sunderland’s James.

South Shields remain bottom after losing for the 11th consecutive time but they gave fifth-top Bishop Auckland a scare.

Liam Henderson and Paul Robinson fired the Mariners into an early two-goal lead before Bishops gained the upper hand and scored courtesy of Andrew Johnson (2), Chris Renshaw (og) and Chris Bell.

Norton and Stockton Ancients are second from the basement and they produced little to trouble Consett, who won with goals from Ryan King and Luke Sullivan Chris Carr gave Bedlington Terriers a second-minute advantage against Whitley Bay, who hit back through Paul Chow, while Ashington conceded a two-goal lead at West Auckland Town.

Andy Johnson and Glen Taylor had the Colliers on top before Mattie Moffat reduced the deficit and John Campbell levelled six minutes from time.

In Division Two, Birtley Town were unable to halt Crook Town’s challenge for the championship – although it was a close call for the leaders, who have conceded just one point in their last 16 games.

Warren Byrne hit a late winner, adding to his early strike which was cancelled out by Luke Wilson.

Chris Winn scored both goals for second-top Ryhope CW at Whitehaven and, although Seaham Red Star stay third, they are now only a point ahead of Northallerton Town, who won the crucial meeting between the teams, thanks to Adam Emson (2) and Daniel Shoulder (2). Shaun Sweeney and Alan Megran replied for Seaham.

Horden CW, who last week persuaded the former Sunderland player John Cornforth to coach the squad, at last had something to celebrate.

Following a 21-match winless sequence, they defeated Esh Winning with strikes from Adam Kidson and Michael Kane.

The result lifted them off the bottom, which is now occupied by Alnwick Town following their defeat at Darlington RA. Tony Brown scored both the Alnwick efforts with Jimmy Muir, Aaron Ramsbottom, Steve Allison and Zac Tervit keeping RA’s promotion hopes alive.



David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer