Ebac Northern League

IT’S just as well that Hebburn Town made a good start to the season because recently they have been in free-fall.

IT’S just as well that Hebburn Town made a good start to the season because recently they have been in free-fall.

Although they produced a spirited fightback against Ashington in last night’s Ebac Northern League First Division game, they suffered an 11th defeat in 12 games.

Captain Andrew Johnson and Marc Walton fired the Colliers into a two-goals cushion but Hebburn were on level terms by the hour mark with a brace of goals from Paul Gardner.

From then on though it was all downhill as Ashington went nap with further strikes from Mark O’Dea, Glen Taylor and Walton. Just before the end, Stuart Nicholson converted a penalty for the South Tynesiders.

West Auckland Town consolidated second place but they had to come from behind before defeating bottom-of-the-table Norton and Stockton Ancients.

Two goals by Callum Brown in the opening 15 minutes rocked the hosts but they turned the tables in the second half with Dan Hindmarsh (2), John Campbell and Mattie Moffat finding the target. South Shields are immediately above Norton after losing by the odd goal in three to Consett.

The Mariners went in front on 65 minutes when Denver Morris went down the left wing and crossed to Stephen Ramsey, who headed home.

Shortly afterwards, however, Michael Mackay levelled with a close-range effort and four minutes from time Luke Sullivan beat keeper James Winter for the winner.

Dunston UTS moved into seventh position with a comprehensive 4-0 win over Guisborough Town. The Tynesiders made a dream start with Lewis Teasdale firing his side into a second-minute lead.

But almost an hour then elapsed before Ben Cattanach struck from the penalty spot.

By now UTS were well on top and Teasdale completed his hat-trick with two goals in the space of six minutes.

In Division Two, West Allotment Celtic maintained their climb up the table with a 4-1 victory at Whickham. Shaun Reid (2), David Dormand and Chris Douglas were the scorers with Ian Robson replying for the Glebemen.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer