NEWCASTLE United’s transfer frustrations have continued as Charlton Athletic reported the club to the Premier League over their approach for goalkeeper Rob Elliot.
United had been hoping to land the 25-year-old for a cut-price £100,000 to fill the void left by Fraser Forster’s departure to Celtic this week.
However, when Charlton rejected their bid, United told the South London side they would not be coming back with an improved offer.
Charlton claim this took place in the middle of the week – and are angered Newcastle boss Alan Pardew went public to talk about their interest in Elliot after the club told them there would be no fresh offer.
Charlton chief executive Stephen Kavanagh confirmed the Addicks have reported United for confirming their interest in the goalkeeper after having a £100,000 bid rejected.
He said: “In advance of our match against Scunthorpe, it is very disappointing Alan Pardew has decided to make public an offer for Robbie Elliot despite assurances that would not happen from his club officials.
“Newcastle made a written offer of £100,000 for Robbie on Wednesday, and made it clear it was their final and best offer.
“The offer was rejected within minutes, and Newcastle then confirmed they no longer had an interest in the player.
“We contacted the Premier League to register our concern at public statements being made by Newcastle after they withdrew their interest.”
In another intriguing development, QPR have been linked with a move for Danny Simpson as the defender continues to stall over a new contract.
Newcastle have offered him a five-year deal, but there is dismay in the Simpson camp at the terms of the deal.