Berwick Rangers 0



BERWICK boss John Coughlin resigned after the weekend’s 3-0 defeat by Alloa, ending his two-and-a-half years at Shielfield Park.

He revealed he had tried to quit eight days ago – actually telling the players he was leaving following a defeat by Queens Park – but the club refused to accept his resignation.

Coughlin, who steered his side to promotion last season after being piped in the play-off the previous year in his first campaign, said: “This is the right decision not just for me but also the club. It’s time to move on. Hopefully I will not be out of the game too long. I feel I have taken the players as far as I can and I told them so. Its all very well building a team to get out of a division but the problem comes when you have to improve on that in a higher flight and you do not have the financial wherewithal.”

Coughlin, an ex-Berwick player and former assistant coach with St Mirren, added: “By going now I feel the club has time to find someone to try to turn things round and keep them in the Second Division.”

He said he had been under considerable pressure and personal strain, revealing: “At a club like this you feel you are not only the manager but also something of a magician to find players to bring in as well as being a politician.”

Coughlin had several meetings with the Berwick board over the last week and told chairman Robert Wilson he was leaving after the defeat.

Rangers looked out of their depth as they crashed against Alloa. Tommy Lennox was guilty of a suicidal pass which gifted John Grant the visitors’ first.

They doubled their lead after 49 minutes when Andrew guided home a strike from Brown Ferguson and right at the death Dougie Wilson notched number three when a Derek Fleming free-kick hit the defensive wall and the ball rebounded perfectly into his path.

BERWICK: O’Connor, Lennox, McGroarty, Smith, Wood, Thomson, Greenhill, Manson (Gemmill 28), Diack (Bolochoweckyj 65), Swanson, McMullan (Mark Stevenson 65). Subs (not used): Flockhart, Noble.

Booked: Greenhill, Swanson, Wood.

ALLOA: Jellema, McKeown, Fleming, Townsley, Forrest, Grant, Wilson, Brown Ferguson, Coakley (Fairbairn 69), Agnew (Kelly 84), Andrew (Kerr 79). Subs (not used): Hodge, Creer.

Booked: Forrest.

Goals: Grant 33, Andrew 49, Wilson 89.

Attendance: 454

Referee: S O’Reilly (Scotland).


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer