Beasley for Boro

Middlesbrough are set to renew their interest in DaMarcus Beasley and launch a late bid for the US star ahead of this week's transfer deadline.

Middlesbrough are set to renew their interest in DaMarcus Beasley and launch a late bid for the US star ahead of this week's transfer deadline.

And Boro boss Steve McClaren will bring his summer of recruitment to a close by tying up permanent deals for trialists Jesper Blomqvist and Tony Vidmar.

The Teessiders had a £850,000 offer for Chicago Fire leftwinger Beasley turned down by Major League Soccer officials, who control players' registrations, last month.

Dutch outfit Ajax then had a £1.3 million bid rejected, but Boro are now understood to be lining up an improved offer of around £1.5 million.

Having splashed out over £20 million already this summer, McClaren is keen to swell the Riverside ranks with some players from football's bargain bucket.

And though he would not speculate on the likelihood of signing free agents Blomqvist and Vidmar last night, both have impressed in recent weeks and should be Boro players by the end of the week.

Swedish international Blomqvist, 28, was at Old Trafford with McClaren and has spent the last month training with Boro, though an injury during pre-season has delayed a permanent move until now.

However, the player has revealed that terms have been agreed and subject to a medical early this week, he expects to sign before Saturday's transfer deadline.

"I believe and hope that everything is on the way to being resolved," he said. "I have started to train lightly again and next week I will have a medical as we agreed terms about a contract very quickly."

Versatile defender Vidmar, who as a regular Australian international will not struggle to obtain a work permit, was linked with a move to Teesside after being released by Glasgow Rangers at the end of last season.

He has been training at Rockliffe Park and impressed Boro reserve team coach Steve Round in last week's 2-2 reserve draw with Newcastle at Gateshead Stadium.

"He did well against Newcastle, he's a senior professional, knows what the game's about and stuck to his task quite well. It's up to the manager whether we take it any further," said Round.

Meanwhile, Boro are understood to be keeping tabs on Darlington's 18-year-old Durham-born striker Adam Rundle.

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer