Another defeat for struggling Blyth Spartans

BLYTH Spartans’ woes continued last night when in-form Newcastle Benfield won the Sage Northumberland FA Senior Cup-tie 2-1 at Croft Park.

BLYTH Spartans’ woes continued last night when in-form Newcastle Benfield won the Sage Northumberland FA Senior Cup-tie 2-1 at Croft Park.

The hosts had the incentive of a fifth-minute goal by Glen Taylor, who curled his shot into the top corner of the net – giving goalkeeper Andrew Grainger no chance.

Blyth created several opportunities in the first half but failed to capitalise, and just before the interval Brian Dodsworth levelled with a fine solo effort.

There was another blow for Spartans on 46 minutes when Phil Cave’s penalty was saved by Grainger.

Benfield clinched the tie 17 minutes from the end as Kevin Leighton smacked the ball home for a deserved win.

Whitley Bay crashed out to Team Northumbria, who enjoyed a five-goal romp at Hillheads courtesy of Peter Watling (2), Daniel Riley (2) and Jack Palmer.

The Seahorses had Callum Anderson sent off on 44 minutes and Chris Fawcett was also red-carded nine minutes from time.

Durham City twice led by three goals but only just edged Lancaster City in the Evo-Stik League Division One North game at New Ferens Park.

Elliott Cutts, Jonathan Davis, Stephen Thompson and Ross Wilkinson struck for Dickie Ord’s team with Danny Hattersley (2) and Ryan Elderton replying.

Phil Bell, signed last week from Whitley Bay, was in magnificent form leading Ashington to a 7-1 rout of Bishop Auckland.

He scored five times with Craig Scott and Damon Mullen also on target. Andrew Strong claimed a consolation for Bishops.

Spennymoor Town won the crucial top-of-the-table clash at West Auckland, who led through Mattie Moffat before Keith Graydon, Sonny Andrews and Gavin Barton netted for Moors.

South Shields maintained their good form, defeating Jarrow Roofing 2-1 in the South Tyneside derbg.

Johnny Wightman and Lee Bell were their matchwinners, with Peter Kane on target for Roofing.

In Division Two, Hebburn Town went down 2-1 at home to Gillford Park, who were two goals up inside eight minutes through Mike Reed and Matthew Lee.

Although Tony Stephenson threw Hebburn a lifeline completing the best move of the game in the 37th minute, Hebburn failed to equalise.

Whitehaven improved their position near the bottom with a critical victory at Thornaby ,who led for 69 minutes with Craig Skelton’s penalty.

Kevin Connolly restored parity on 75 minutes and three minutes later he was again on target.

::  GATESHEAD will face Tamworth in the second round of the FA Cup after they beat Hinckley in last night’s first-round replay.


Click here to view our community standards

Premier League News


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer