Hull manager Steve Bruce has backed Alan Pardew to deal with whatever punishment the Football Association imposes for last weekend’s headbutt on David Meyler.
The Newcastle boss has accepted a misconduct charge and requested a personal hearing for the incident, which saw him clash with the midfielder on the touchline during his side’s 4-1 victory at the KC Stadium.
Pardew, who was fined £100,000 by Newcastle, apologised immediately for his behaviour and Bruce has been keen not to inflame the situation further.
He believes Pardew needs to assess his record of pitchside incidents but expects him to react positively to any FA sanction.
“As a club we accepted Alan’s honesty in the whole situation, because he’s been big and brave enough and he had to come out and say what he did,” said Bruce.
“We don’t want the images we saw last week and Alan would be first to understand that.
“We were all shocked with what we saw and Alan has to pay the consequences for that, which I’m sure he will do.
“Alan is going to take the fine and punishment and whatever is dished to him. I’m sure he’ll take it and find a way to move on and erase it.”
Pardew’s antics overshadowed the onfield action somewhat, with Hull comfortably beaten by their visitors in their biggest home defeat of the season.
Bruce’s side will be hoping to put that behind them on Sunday with an FA Cup quarter-final at home to a Sunderland team already beaten twice by the Tigers this season.
That is in stark contrast with their form in the knockout competitions, with the Black Cats defeated in the Capital One Cup by Manchester City last Sunday and now eyeing another Wembley appearance.
“If you ask (Sunderland manager) Gus Poyet he’d probably like it the other way round,” said Bruce. “They’ve had a wonderful run in the cups but Gus would probably have liked a few more wins in the Premier League.”
One player who would not be available to play a part should Hull reach their first FA Cup semi-final since 1930 is Republic of Ireland winger Robbie Brady.
He has not played since February 4 due to a groin complaint and will take no further part this season following surgery.
“The problem has been hovering for a long time as we know, but hopefully it has been put to bed now,” said Bruce. The operation he’s had is a serious one and we wish him the best of luck.
“We hope that we’ll see him at the start of next season.
“He’s got a long summer ahead of him.”