EBAC Northern League round-up

After taking ten points from their first four fixtures and leading the Ebac Northern League, Bedlington Terriers have lost the last two games

Bedlington Terriers football action

After taking ten points from their first four fixtures and leading the Ebac Northern League, Bedlington Terriers have lost the last two games – both by a three-goal margin.

Defeat at Guisborough Town on Saturday was followed by another reverse at the hands of Ashington in yesterday's local-derby at Dr Pitt Welfare Park.

Gary Middleton's side gave a professional performance and, once they went ahead on 20 minutes, never looked in danger. Glen Taylor drove in off the post and just before the interval he doubled his side's lead, heading home a cross from Andrew Johnson.

A good move involving the two Taylors, Glen and James, opened up the opportunity for Marc Walton to complete a comprehensive win when he burried a shot wide of goalkeeper Shaun McCafferty.

Newly-promoted Crook Town missed the chance to go top when they lost for the first time, at Team Northumbria. Two goals in five first-half minutes had Crook on the back foot. Peter Watling fired past Barry Poskett in the 34th minute and Peter Ravenhill was on target shortly afterwards.

Right on the stroke of half-time, Crook were given a lifeline as Richard Hodgson reduced the deficit, but Team held on for their second win of the season.

Spennymoor Town also won for the second time, holding off a strong challenge by Shildon at the Brewery Field.

Moors were awarded a penalty and after the Shildon goalkeeper saved Liam Henderson's spot-kick and the initial follow-up effort, he was eventually beaten as Henderson headed home.

Lewis Dodds then scored the best goal of the six, rifling a tremendous volley from 25 yards and at this stage Moors were in charge.

But early in the second period Shildon scored twice in five minutes through Billy Greulich-Smith and Ben Wood, and all of a sudden it was all to play for.

Moors finished strongly, though, and after Gavin Cogdon regained the advantage for Spennymoor, Henderson struck for a second time to complete an exciting 4-2 victory.

Heaton Stannington continue to lead the Second Division after they made it five wins and a draw from six games by defeating Alnwick Town.

Jonathan Wright headed home and before the interval Heaton doubled their lead as Wright rounded goalkeeper Damien Mullen and fired into an empty net.

Jarrow Roofing moved into the top six when they went nap against South Shields. Liam McBryde, who rejoined the club from Whitley Bay last week, bagged a brace and so too did Stuart Nicholson. Paul Gardner was also on target, with James Pickering the Mariners' only marksman.

Seaham Red Star made it 11 goals in two games. After defeating Chester-le-Street on Saturday, they put five goals past Norton and Stockton Ancients with Adam Johnson (3), Shaun Reay and Daniel Gray the scorers.

Ryton and Crawcrook Albion conceded a late winner at Whitehaven. Darren Donald gave the Cumbrians a 22nd-minute lead, but only the heroics of goalkeeper Fraser Nairn prevented Ryton from equalising until Paul Basey finally struck in the second half.

With only 10 minutes remaining and Ryton searching for a second goal, it was Whitehaven who grabbed the points through Matthew Tymon.

Willington held a slender advantage courtesy of Adam Sakr at the halfway stage but Tow Law Town took all three points with second half strikes from Lewis Harrison and Dean Thexton.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer