Three people escape house fire in Consett without serious injury

Fire crews called to house on Pemberton Road in Bridgehill, Consett, at 1.40pm today

 

Three people escaped without serious injury after a house was destroyed by fire.

Emergency services were called to Pemberton Road in Bridgehill, Consett, County Durham, after receiving calls that people were trapped inside a house which was well alight at around 1.40pm yesterday.

Fire crews from Consett and High Handenhold attended and requested a fourth fire engine from Durham City as they believed someone else was inside.

However initial investigations found all three adults inside had managed to escape, with one jumping from an upstairs window, before the arrival of the fire service.

Andy Bruce, assistant community protection and prevention manager for Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The initial call did state there were three people reported trapped inside the house and there was a suspected acetylene gas cyclinder inside, which is an industrial gas.

“We sent three appliances, one from Consett and two from High Handenhold and made it up to four because we thought there was someone inside. All people had got out of the house before the arrival of the fire service which was great news.

“There was also no gas cyclinder inside.

“How the fire started is still under investigation and we will carry out the investigation with police.

“The ambulance service were in attendence, one of the male adults suffered smoke inhalation and burns to the hands.

“There were three people inside, two got out by the back door and one escaped from the upstairs window.”

Neighbours watched on in horror as the two storey semi-detached house was destroyed by fire.

Passer-by Craig Anderson, 28, said the house was once white and was now black.

“I was just passing and saw the house up in flames,” said the Morrisons worker.

“The fire brigade turned up and put it out pretty quickly but it was quite a big fire.

“The whole front of the house was black. I was just going to the shops so it was quite a shock to see.

“There were people in the street and gardens watching and there was a lot of smoke, the front of the house was white and it turned black.

“I was just walking past and it stunk. I think the house will need a lot of work now to get it to how it was before and before they can go back in,” said Craig.

Police closed Durham Road in both directions while firefighters tackled the blaze.

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer