Great North Runners now have less than a week to claim their free invitation for the biggest party the North East has ever seen.
Staged by the creative team behind the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic opening ceremonies, the spectacular celebration on Thursday September 4 features world class live performers and marks the half marathon becoming the first distance race to reach one million finishers.
Acts confirmed for the day inclde Mark Knopfler, The Unthanks, Chase and status, and Jill Halfpenny.
And while the first 10,000 tickets are on us, you now have just days to claim them.
“The response we’ve had since announcing our plans for the event has been overwhelming,” said Brendan Foster, chairman of Great Run organisers Nova International.
“The idea of celebrating such a landmark occasion in a big way has clearly resonated throughout the region and beyond.”
The Great North Run Million Opening Ceremony will feature world class live music performances from the likes of “local hero” Mark Knopfler, a large scale film projection onto The Sage Gateshead, mass choreography, and a script written by award-winning local author David Almond, celebrating a rich history of North East “firsts”, including the region’s proud sporting and industrial heritage.
“The Journal played a significant role in setting up the first Great North Run and we are proud to have this opportunity to reward people who have helped make this the world’s best-loved half marathon,” Journal editor Brian Aitken said.
The Great North Run Million Opening Ceremony is the curtain raiser to a weekend long celebration of sport and participation in the North East, which includes the Bupa Great North 5k and the Great North CityGames.
It culminates with Britain’s biggest running event, the Bupa Great North Run, which will receive an award from the IAAF on reaching this incredible milestone on September 7.
The free tickets will be distributed on a first come first served basis through the Great Run website to anyone who has ever completed the Bupa Great North Run in the event’s 33-history.
They can apply for their free ticket by entering their first and last names and the year they ran at greatrun.org/ticket_giveaway, before Friday July 25. Past runners who have already bought a ticket will be offered a refund.
Tickets are also available for the general public to purchase for £12 for adults or £7 for children.
To purchase please visit www.gnrmillion.org
All past runners, whether able to attend the event or not, are also being encouraged to contribute memories and experiences of the world’s greatest half-marathon as part of the celebrations.
Runners have been asked to share their favourite Bupa Great North Run images through the decades via social media using #GNRmillion, or share their story at gnrmillion.org/share-your-story.
Terms and conditions:
1. This offer is for any individual who has entered the Great North Run between 1981 and 2013, to claim one free ticket to the Great North Run Million Opening Ceremony in Newcastle Gateshead on Thursday 4th September.
2. Only one entry per person will be accepted. Multiple entries could lead to disqualification.
3. Qualifying individuals will have the opportunity to apply for this offer from 09:00 on Thursday July 03, 2014 until 12:00 on the Friday July 25, 2014.
4. 10,000 Tickets will be distributed on a first come first served basis to those who qualify. Successful applicants will be provided with a unique code to redeem their free ticket from Ticketmaster.
5. This code will be emailed to successful applicants by Thursday 31 July
6. There will be a £1 handling fee from Ticketmaster for print at home tickets or £2.50 fee for tickets sent by post. These costs are non-refundable.
7. Successful applicants will be notified by email. Reasonable efforts will be made to contact winners. It is the applicant’s responsibility to claim their own tickets via the Ticketmaster site using their unique code by Thursday 14th August.
8. Successful applicants will be able to claim one free ticket for the Great North Run Million Opening Ceremony in NewcastleGateshead on Thursday 4th September. This does not include any additional costs, travel, transport or hotels. There is no cash alternative and the tickets are non-transferable. Entries that do not comply in full with all of these terms and conditions may be disqualified.
9. If for whatever reason successful applicants are unable to attend on the scheduled date, the ticket will have to be forfeited. The date and ticket will be non-transferable or negotiable.
10. By entering this promotion, entrants will be deemed to have read and understood, and accepted these rules and be bound by them. All decisions of the Promoter will be final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into. No responsibility will be taken by the Promoter for any answers that are illegible, misdirected, lost for technical or other reasons or received after the closing date, or sent in by agencies or third parties.
11. The Promoter reserves the right to alter, amend or foreclose this Competition without prior notice in the event that unforeseen circumstances make this unavoidable.
12. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any loss, damage, injury or disappointment suffered by any applicant resulting from claiming this offer or by an applicant’s acceptance or use of the ticket, or any damage to any applicants or other person’s computer or mobile phone equipment as a consequence of downloading any material relating to this promotion. Nothing shall exclude the Promoter’s liability for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence.
13. The Promoter is Mirror Group PLC and the prizes are made available by Nova International.