Two brothers admit attack on homeless man Adam Blythe in Northumberland

Wayne and Gavin Deluen admit GBH, after being accused of attacking homeless man Adam Blythe in Blyth, Northumberland

Exterior picture of Newcastle Crown Court on the Quayside
Newcastle Crown Court on the Quayside

Two brothers have admitted carrying out a savage attack which left a popular homeless man fighting for his life.

Wayne and Gavin Deluen are facing years in prison for inflicting gruesome violence on blameless Adam Blythe.

The Deluens yesterday pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent while co-accused, Kelly Ann Raisbeck, denied the same charge.

Mr Blythe, 34, who had been sleeping rough, was seriously assaulted inside a house on Robert Street, Blyth, Northumberland, on the afternoon of Saturday February 8.

Newcastle Crown Court heard blood-stained weapons were found at the scene as well as items in the washing machine.

Gavin Deluen, 22, of Dove Court, Cullercoats, North Tyneside, and Wayne Deluen, 24, of Pecket Close, Blyth, who appeared in court on a video-link to Durham Prison, were further remanded in custody.

Richard Bloomfield, for Wayne Deluen, said he denied having lured Mr Blythe back to the house with the intention of inflicting violence.

Mr Bloomfield said, who asked for pre-sentence reports and a mental health assessment to be carried out on his client, said: “He asks me to make it clear that they did not set out to entice this man back to the house.

Kelly Raisbeck leaving Newcastle Crown Court
Kelly Raisbeck leaving Newcastle Crown Court

“It was as a result of information they were given once there that the attack occurred.

“They didn’t lure him there with the intention of inflicting violence.”

Judge Robert Adams told the Deluen brothers that they will be sentenced at the conclusion of Raisbeck’s trial and that the time they are serving will count towards the eventual sentence.

Raisbeck, 21, of Robert Street, Blyth, was further released on conditional bail. She will stand trial at the beginning of July, with the case expected to last two days.

After the attack local residents in Blyth rallied round in support of homeless Mr Blythe.

Members of the community turned out in force in March for a sponsored walk for the homeless. The four-mile Blyth Electric Walk was organised becaue Mr Blythe was a well-known figure in the town.

The sponsored walk raised money for volunteer group Making Winter Warmer, who work with homeless people.

Starting in Blyth Market Place, young and old walked through the town by the harbour, beach and Rotary Way wearing bright clothing and armed with glow sticks.

At the time of the attack, residents spoke of their disgust at what happened. Barry Hunter, 49, a caretaker, said the community were distraught. The dad-of-three said: “People are absolutely appalled at this – the guy was homeless.

“It is horrendous to hear what happened. I have never heard of anything this bad going on in my whole life.”

Grandmother Barbara Thomas, 61, from Blyth, said she was also upset when she heard what had happened.

She added: “I used to say hello to him every time I walked past so I felt angry at what happened. I just feel so sorry for him now, people would buy him meals and coffee.

“He was part of the town centre.”


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer