Victim tells of horror glass attack in Newcastle

A MAN attacked on his first night out in Newcastle has told how he almost bled to death.

A MAN attacked on his first night out in Newcastle has told how he almost bled to death.

Matthew Carter, 27, was visiting the city for a night out to celebrate his friend’s birthday when a mystery attacker plunged a smashed bottle into his neck.

Mr Carter was left bleeding heavily on the pavement, outside St Nicholas’ Cathedral. Staff at Tup Tup Palace, across the road, noticed his plight and called an ambulance, while a doorman stopped the bleeding.

As police continue to hunt his attacker, Mr Carter has told of his anguish at knowing his life was almost ended by an assault he can’t even remember.

He said: “Someone smashed a bottle and stabbed me with it. The doctors said I’m very lucky to be alive. The last thing I can remember I was just having a drink and a good night, everybody had just been having a good time and a laugh.

“Then the next thing I knew I was waking up in intensive care, and they told me I had had a four-hour operation on the arteries in my neck.”

Mr Carter had travelled to Newcastle from his hometown of Barrow-in-Furness to celebrate a friend’s birthday on January 26.

The party of around 15 separated into smaller groups later in the evening, some heading to Tup Tup in St Nicholas Square.

Mr Carter has no idea how he became embroiled in a fight that broke out outside the club.

But he has since been told a stranger used a broken bottle to attack him, stabbing and slashing his neck, face, head, chest and shoulder.

He was rushed into surgery at the Royal Victoria Infirmary where he underwent a four-hour operation to repair his neck.

He also needed two transfusions to replace the blood he had lost.

The industrial painter spent more than a week in hospital in Newcastle. He is now continuing his recovery at his mother’s house in Cumbria, and waiting to discover if he will get the use of his arm back.

Police are appealing for witnesses to the attack, and have released CCTV images of a man who was caught on camera appearing to film the incident, which happened at around 3.20am, on his mobile phone. Det Con Elaine Henderson of Northumbria Police said: “The man in the images was not directly involved in the incident.

“The footage we have shows him taking pictures or filming the incident.

“I’d urge the man in the images to contact police as soon as possible or, if anyone thinks they recognise him, they can contact us anonymously if they wish and pass information on.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Northumbria Police on 101, extension 69191.

Alternatively, they can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer