Twenty-four people banned from Newcastle matches after derby disorder

Twenty-four people have been banned from Newcastle United fixtures as they face criminal charges over derby-day disorder

Trouble broke out after Newcastle were beaten
Trouble broke out after Newcastle were beaten

Twenty-four people have been banned from Newcastle United fixtures as they face criminal charges over derby-day disorder.

Police confirmed they have charged two dozen people with violent disorder after ugly scenes broke out following Newcastle’s fixture with Sunderland earlier this year.

Officers from Northumbria Police staged a number of arrests after clashes spilled out of St James’ Park following the Tyne & Wear derby on April 14.

CCTV stills were released as police tried to track down those responsible for the outbreaks of violence.

More than 100 arrests were made in the aftermath on top of the 29 people arrested on the day. Now police have confirmed that all those charged are due to appear at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court in the week commencing Monday, September 9.

As part of their bail conditions they are banned from attending any Newcastle United football matches.

Chief Supt Gary Calvert, the Newcastle Area Commander, said it was an ongoing investigation and “a significant number of advice files are being submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service for a decision on further charges”.

He said: “This has been an extensive investigation and it is still ongoing, with an excellent response received from the public to identify some of those people in the CCTV images.

“As a result of enquiries we are now in a position to charge people with violent disorder and they will appear in court in due course.

“In the meantime there are strict bail conditions in place. This sort of disorder is unusual and, as we’ve already said, it is not reflective of the behaviour of true football supporters.

“When any kind of violence takes place we will do everything possible to make sure those suspected of being involved are traced to ensure the safety of families and supporters attending games.”

The shocking scenes followed the lunchtime game at St James’ Park which saw Newcastle United suffer a 3-0 defeat to Sunderland.

The most significant clashes occurred outside Newcastle Central Station as Newcastle fans tried to ambush Sunderland supporters as they made their way back to Wearside.

Police were pelted with missiles and bottles as Newcastle supporters went on the rampage.

They clashed with police at Strawberry Place, near the ground, before moving on to St James’ Boulevard, Westgate Road, the Centre for Life and Central Station, following the route Sunderland supporters would have taken.

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer