THIS year the high street has got in on the hysteria surrounding the World Cup by providing a selection of clothes and accessories featuring team colours from across the world. This has created the perfect opportunity to display your football loyalty, while maintaining your fashion status.
Fun accessories decorated in team flags – such as clutch bags, costume jewellery and scarves – add a quirky edge to an outfit. They are a subtle yet effective way to wear your team’s colours with pride.
Glam up an outfit at night with sequin and diamante Union Jack accessories, or simply add a hairband or slide for the perfect daytime look. Remember to keep outfits plain and simple if pairing with statement accessories -– less is more.
The high street is brimming with slogan T-shirts, team stripes and light knitwear. Combine with denim jeans or shorts depending on the good old English weather! If you prefer to be a bit more subtle, there are lots of stylish collections that take inspiration from the flag and use it in non-football related designs.
Bodycon dresses bearing slogans and team flags are also a popular choice – perfect for hot summer days paired with pretty ballerina pumps or towering heels at night.
If wearing your team colours is not for you there is a fierce alternative to ensure you look the part this summer whether it be in your local pub watching a match, a World Cup barbecue or celebrating out and about.
Bright, bold prints have made a comeback for another year. Pair with skyscraper heels to flatter and add height to an outfit.
If you want to stand out from a crowd opt for vibrant electric blues, fuchsia pinks and burnt orange. Don’t forget a sun-kissed glow to complement the statement colour palette.
The high street is bursting with many more stylish solutions. Maxi dresses are back. There are an abundance of casual and glam examples for day and night. Floral patterns and statement tribal prints are most popular. Topshop, Next and New Look are all bursting with must-haves.
For those of you who want to cover up bare arms when the sun goes down – team your maxi with a denim jacket. Denim is this season’s must-have trend cover-up, seen on fashion runways the world over.
Summer dresses in blossom pinks, sherbet pastels and nudes are also an on-trend and essential for everyone’s wardrobe this summer.
Now all that is left to ask is: “I wonder which nation will triumph in the style stakes?”
1) Irregular Choice Patty Union Jack clutch, £37, at Lunacy www.lunacyboutique.co.uk
2) Pretty Ballerina World Cup collection pumps, £169 per pair, www.prettyballerinas.com
3) Primark yellow Brazil T-shirt, £4, www.primark.co.uk
4) New Look glitter flag heart necklace, £3.50, www.newlook.com
5) Next grey England sequin sweater, £25, www.next.co.uk
6) Union Jack flag, £5, crop jeggings, £10, vest, £3, and heels, £15, all George, www.george.com
7) Dorothy Perkins chain print vest, £16, www.dorothyperkins.com
8) Dorothy Perkins blue Italy flag boobtube, £12.
9) Crystal Union Jack bangle, £76.50 at QVC, www.qvcuk.com
10) Converse The Who Union Flag plimsolls, £45 at Very, www.very.co.uk