North Tyneside teenage driver faces jail for killing pensioner

A North Tyneside teenage motorist is facing jail after admitting to causing the death of a 66-year-old pedestrian in North Shields

Daniel Brownlee, who appeared at North Tyneside Magistrates Court
Daniel Brownlee, who appeared at North Tyneside Magistrates Court

A teenage motorist has admitted causing the death of a former civil servant by dangerous driving.

Daniel Brownlee, 19, of Preston Terrace, West Allotment, in North Tyneside, admitted causing the death of 66-year-old pedestrian Roy Toogood on the A1058 Beach Road at North Shields last February 18.

Mr Toogood, who was made an MBE in the 2001 New Year’s Honours List for his work with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, worked at the Inland Revenue’s international services department in Longbenton for many years.

His job involved working with high-ranking foreign officials on complex tax issues and it took him to countries including Canada, Korea, Japan and Chile.

After his death he was described as a “good man who had worked hard over the years”.

Yesterday Brownlee, represented by Graeme Cook, pleaded guilty to causing the pensioner’s death while driving a Vauxhall car. During the short hearing, prosecutor Jolyon Perks told the court that during Brownlee’s journey along the A19, A1058 and Beach Road, the teenager reached speeds of 104mph. “In the circumstances, therefore, the Crown will provide an opening note to Mr Cook well in advance of the sentencing hearing which will set out the course of driving itself and provide Mr Cook with all the information he requires,” Mr Perks said.

The court was asked for Brownlee to be sentenced as soon as possible, in the interests of the families of Mr Toogood and of Brownlee.

Judge John Evans adjourned the case until September 16 for sentence and warned Brownlee he faced a custodial sentence. He also granted an interim disqualification of his driving licence.

Brownlee’s father Paul Brownlee was in the dock beside his son, charged with making a false statement to obtain insurance.

The alleged offence is said to have taken place between March 1 and August 31 last year.

The 41-year-old, of Thirlmere Close in Killingworth, North Tyneside, pleaded not guilty.

He is due to appear before the court again on November 1 for a plea and case management hearing.

 

Journalists

David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer