New mum credits Berwick midwives for saving her life

New mum Sianne Lee has credited Berwick midwives with saving her life following a scare after she gave birth

Baby Tate Lee of Tweedmouth with his mum Sianne and dad Martin
Baby Tate Lee of Tweedmouth with his mum Sianne and dad Martin

A new mother who had a scare after giving birth has credited local midwives with saving her life.

Sianne Lee, from Berwick, Northumberland, was overjoyed to give birth to son Tate last Tuesday, at the town’s midwifery-led baby unit.

However, the joy soon turned to fear for her and her family when she experienced three bleeds, and fainted.

An ambulance was called to rush her to a consultant led unit.

However, the midwives at Berwick managed to save the day, giving Sianne the necessary treatment to stop the bleeding.

She and Tate’s grandmother last night spoke of their gratitude to the staff and said their actions combined with the decision last year to keep the unit open had saved her life.

Sianne, 26, a former cafe waitress, had been due to give birth to her and 34-year-old offshore electrician husband Mark’s third child, the others being Cole, nine, and Sidney, six, on February 18.

Last Tuesday morning at around 9.55am, when she was a week late, Sianne’s finally waters broke.

Baby Tate Lee of Tweedmouth with his mum Sianne
Baby Tate Lee of Tweedmouth with his mum Sianne

She was taken to the unit at Berwick Infirmary and by 11.16am, to her parents’ delight, Tate James Lee had been born, weighing eight pounds fifteen ounces.

Yet after around twenty minutes, Sianne developed a bleed. Before long, she had fainted, for around 10 seconds, and had two further bleeds.

The alarm was raised and an ambulance and paramedic sent for to rush Sianne to Wansbeck General Hospital at Ashington, into the care of its consultant-led maternity unit.

However, midwives at Berwick managed to give Sianne the necessary treatment to stop the bleeds, averting any danger.

The paramedic arrived from Wooler and she was taken to Wansbeck for tests, before being allowed home the next day.

Last night, Sianne, who lives at Goldstone, Tweedmouth and plans on being a full time mum, said things could have been different had her waters broken at night or unit bosses Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust not chosen to reinstate deliveries at the unit last year.

Bosses had suspended births there the previous August amid concern over low numbers of women having babies there and a number of safety incidents.

However, they now take place at the unit during daytime hours.

Sianne’s mum and Tate’s grandmother Caroline Patterson, who works at Sure Start in Berwick, added: “I went over as soon as I knew Sianne had to be taken to Wansbeck and the staff said she had lost a lot of blood and they had to get her to Wansbeck as soon as possible.

“However, due to the drugs they administered to Sianne at the unit to stop the bleeding, they probably saved her life.

“We are all grateful for the unit being open as without the unit we might not have our daughter and grandson who would have been born on the A1.”


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer