Northumberland man dies two days after assault outside Chester pub

Two men have been arrested and bailed after a 63-year-old Northumberland man died two days after being attacked outside a Chester pub

Police forensic officers at the scene where a Northumberland man was attacked outside a pub in Chester
Police forensic officers at the scene where a Northumberland man was attacked outside a pub in Chester

A murder probe has been launched following the death of a Northumberland man who was attacked outside a pub in the early hours of the morning.

The 63-year-old was set upon shortly before 1am on Saturday near the Liverpool Arms pub in Chester where he was believed to have been drinking that evening.

It is understood his attackers were also in the bar throughout the night before the victim was attacked after he left the premises.

He suffered serious injuries and was rushed to the Countess of Chester Hospital by ambulance in a critical condition. Doctors battled to save him and he was placed on a ventilator but, sadly, it was switched off at around 1pm yesterday.

Police say his family have been informed of his passing but they have not yet released the name of the victim.

Two men were arrested shortly after the incident, but were subsequently released without charge. As a result of police inquiries, two further men, both 26 and from the Ellesmere Port area, were arrested in the early hours of Sunday on suspicion of Section 18 Assault.

They were interviewed and have since been released on police bail pending further inquiries.

Officers from Chester police have stepped up patrols in the area in a bid to reassure the local community.

They also said that it was too early to speculate on a motive for the attack. Sergeant Andrew Burrage said: “People will understandably have concerns following this incident.

“I would like to reassure the communities of Chester that extra patrols will be visible in the area to answer any questions people may have. Inquiries are ongoing, and at this stage we are keeping an open mind, and it is too early to speculate on a motive for this attack.”

Police are continuing to ask anyone who was in the Liverpool Arms bar, or the area of Northgate Street where the attack occurred in the early hours of Saturday morning, and who may have any information of relevance, to contact Chester Police on the non-emergency number 101, quoting incident number 50 of 23/11/2013 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer