Family and friends of a Northumberland fisherman found dead on his boat gathered yesterday for his funeral.
Mark Arries, 26, of Amble, was discovered with friend and colleague Edward Ide on board their fishing vessel moored at Whitby harbour earlier this month.
The duo are thought to have been victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. At St Cuthbert’s Church in Mark’s hometown yesterday morning, his loved ones came together to say their farewells, with not a spare seat to be had and scores of mourners standing.
The service was led by Rev Colin Horseman, a retired priest living in the parish of Amble, assisted by parish reader Sarah Mitchell.
Mourners sang a solitary hymn, appropriately the seafarers favourite “Will your Anchor hold,” which had been chosen by Mark’s family.
Words of tribute penned by his fiancee Kim Grieve were relayed to the congregation by Rev Horseman.
Floral arrangements were plentiful and included one spelling out simply “Dad,” from Mark’s two young children, with another in the shape of an anchor.
Mourners were able to record messages of sympathy and memories in a condolence book.
The service was followed by a burial at Amble West cemetery.
Mark was born at Amble and attended the town’s Coquet High School.
He was from a fishing family, with his dad and brother also men of the sea, and began to make a living from the trade as soon as he left school.
He and Edward were found dead on their vessel Echol M220 at 9.55am on Wednesday, January 15.
Officers from North Yorkshire Police had been called to the boat “after concern was raised for the safety of the occupants.”
The friends were pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.
Floral tributes were laid at Amble Harbour, where the duo had fished from, after the tragedy.
Mark’s friend Emily Wintrip, who knew him since nursery, said at the time: “He loved what he was doing at sea, it was all he has ever wanted to do from school.
“It is just a tragedy it had to end at sea.”
The Marine Accident Investigation Branch is investigating the deaths with a statement on its website saying they were the result of “suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.”
The funeral of Edward, 21, from Blyth, took place at the same church on Wednesday afternoon.
He was originally from Amble and went to the same school at Mark, but moved away and lived with his partner and their son.