Man held after Gateshead baby dies in hospital

A MAN was being held on suspicion of murder last night following the death of a two-month-old baby boy.

Police at the house in Gateshead's Montrose Crescent where baby Logan Ormston died from head injuries

A MAN was being held on suspicion of murder last night following the death of a two-month-old baby boy.

Logan Ormston died at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) yesterday morning after being rushed in with serious head injuries.

Karl Walker, 23, who is engaged to Logan’s mum, Courtney Ormston, has been arrested and was last night still being questioned by murder detectives.

Logan was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, in Gateshead, in the early hours of Saturday, following an incident at a property in Montrose Crescent, Carr Hill, Gateshead.

He was transferred to the RVI, where he died at 9.50am yesterday.

Karl Walker, 23, who has been arrested over the death of baby Logan Ormston

The Journal understands Mr Walker is not Logan’s natural father but he had been in a relationship with Miss Ormston, also known as Brennan, since March last year.

The couple are believed to have moved into the semi-detached property just after Christmas, while 18-year-old Miss Ormston was still pregnant.

As police guarded the house yesterday, neighbours told of their shock. Amanda Boylan, 23, said: “It’s tragic. The boy was absolutely adorable.

“They seemed a nice couple, but there were times when we could hear shouting and screaming. I heard a huge argument on Friday night. To be honest there was a few occasions when I thought about calling the police but I never went through with it.

“I wish I had done now. I feel terrible.”

Miss Ormston, a former student at Gateshead College, is said to be inconsolable and is under sedation in hospital.

Mr Walker, who works at Home Bargains in High Street, Gateshead, was described by neighbours as a “nice lad” who doted on Logan.

A family friend, who did not wish to be named, said: “I found out on Saturday that Logan had been in hospital and I found out today that he had died. We’ve been getting updates from Courtney’s mother, Judith, who phoned today and said they turned his machine off and he’s dead.

“They are talking about head injuries. It’s awful, I can’t believe this. Courtney is being sedated in hospital.

“Karl is a nice enough lad. It seems a cliche to say it, but he’d never hurt a fly.”

DCI Andy Potts, who is leading the investigation, said: “This is a tragic loss of a very young baby and our thoughts are with those affected.”

He said a post-mortem examination has not yet been carried out and inquiries are continuing.


David Whetstone
Culture Editor
Graeme Whitfield
Business Editor
Mark Douglas
Newcastle United Editor
Stuart Rayner
Sports Writer