One teenage boy collapsed and another allegedly assaulted a baby after taking what is thought to be a legal high.
A boy needed hospital treatment after smoking the “Salvia” drug outside Ashington High School, in Ashington, Northumberland, yesterday morning.
He was last night in Wansbeck General Hospital, where his condition is described as stable.
In a separate incident, police arrested a 16-year-old, who is also believed to have taken the same substance, when a baby was grabbed from a buggy and thrown to the ground in Newbiggin-by-the-Sea, Northumberland.
He was arrested on suspicion of assaulting the baby and is currently helping police with their inquiries.
Police say a mother with her child when she spotted the teenager in a distressed state.
When the woman went over and talked to him he grabbed the baby from the buggy and threw the child to the ground, before running off.
The child was taken to be checked over at Wansbeck General Hospital, but was not seriously injured.
Last night, as police carried out inquiries to establish where the substance came from, superintendent Mick Paterson issued a warning about the drugs.
He said: “Our advice is just because it says ‘legal’ on the packet does not mean it is safe. These products are usually made from chemicals that can have a serious affect on your health.
“People appear to be suffering some particularly nasty side effects to this substance, Salvia, and we are concerned that there appears to be a quantity of it circulating in the Ashington area at this time.
“If you are in possession of this substance do not use it – and if you have taken it seek medical assistance at once.”
Officers were called to Green Lane, near to Ashington High School, yesterday morning when a teenage boy collapsed.
It is thought he had smoked a cigarette containing Salvia, which can cause hallucinatory experiences.
Yesterday police cordoned off an area of Green Lane as they searched for evidence. A police officer stood by the cordon, while a car parked over the footpath.
It is not yet known what the substance is and searches are set to continue today.
A spokesman from Ashington High School said: “A student collapsed outside of school this morning. We are helping police with inquiries and we are working with the local authority.”
The news comes just months after four people were taken to hospital after taking “legal highs”.
A 33-year-old man, two 14-year-old girls and a boy, aged 16, were hospitalised after taking Exodus or Exodus Blue.
Three 15-year-olds also began vomiting blood at a house party in Blyth when they experimented with a substance known as Clockwork Orange Herbal Incense.
Medics kept the two girls and a boy in hospital for observation but they have since been discharged.
Anyone who needs advice on drugs should contact FRANK on 08700 77 6600 or visit www.talktofrank.com